Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication is Key

With all of the changes to technology in communication, what type of communication do you find most useful and why?

With communication moving more towards email, social media and the like, this has become a powerful tool. Rather than relying on purely face-to-face communication to get information to the student (which they may misunderstand or now fully hear), we have more written communication available in emails and social networks. This allows us to provide information that is clear, concise and accurate and allows the student to digest the information in their own time. However, with this type of communication comes the even greater task of ensuring integrity and accuracy in our answers.

With "new media" forms of communication constantly evolving, institutions must maintain a strict level of accuracy with information depicted on the internet, in emails, on social media, and in smartphone/tablet applications. These new instruments of communication provide a great opportunity to reach more prospective students than ever before. An institution's website is the most useful tool in presenting information. The site can express a vast amount of information to the prospective student, giving increased control and access to a wider audience. A well-informed prospective student can make better decisions and follow-up with more precise questions should they visit the school for a tour. Transparency of information is critical in utilizing the internet as a useful form of communication.

Bridgette,

One of the areas of great concerns regarding communicating via email, social media, etc. is that it is communicating in real time and misrepresenting the institution has the ability to go viral in minutes. Being accurate is critical.

Cindy Bryant

With all of the new changes to technology in communication, I find the internet to be the most useful. Now days people turn to the internet for almost everything. It allows a prospective student to view the programs we offer, the level of degrees that can be obatained, and of host of specific information. Because the internet is such a savvy tool for marketing it can guide the prospective student to actually chat with someone directly, and even schedule an appointment.

Crystal,

Yes, the internet is useful tool for that purpose. How do you see your school maximizing the internet's capabilities?

Cindy Bryant

I am old school so I like the one on one. The prospective student see's you as a person who is very knowledgeable about the school and it's programs, is sincere, honest, and has a genuine interest in trying to help and not just to get the enrollment.

Meeting with someone should always be priority. Our society does so much through e-mail, texting, and web chats that people don't have genuine, personal interaction. Genuine interaction is really only accomplished through direct communication as mis-understandings are less likely to happen. It is too easy to misunderstand or take offense to something that is said through a text or e-mail because you can't hear or see the person that is talking.

I like face to face communication. Over 80% of communication is non-verbal with that in mind, imagine how much is left out via text or email communication.

Kimberley,

I too am a person who enjoys personal interaction. But many times the issue is getting the person to interact personally. Can you think of some ways to engage a person in for a face to face meeting?

Cindy Bryant

Sharon,

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, how do we overcome the challenges that technology has placed in our path? I notice that everywhere I go people are confident while text(ing), tweeting, facebook(ing) or talking on the phone. When it comes to having a face to face conversation they seem rather unsure of how they should interact.

Cindy Bryant

I think it has to be a combination of the different mediums we have available. I think that when you are presenting vital information to a student, for example, you want to announce it/discuss it/state it; provide it in writing; and send consistent reminders. All of this thru catalogs, websites, e-mail, and even school signage. Repetition and consistency is the key to getting the message across.

Belinda,

Hi! It sounds like you have all bases covered. There is no way that the student could fail to understand information when given in so many venues and formats.

Cindy Bryant

With all the new technology and different ways to communicate I find that e-mail is also such a good tool to communicate, you can still be on a personal level and give out information to prospective students about any programs we may have to offer and we can also share the school website link with them too. I still also really like the old fashion face to face interview.

In my opinion the internet is the one I prefer, because now in days the internet is key, you can do so much like web-site, electronic signing, virtual tours etc.

Some people only communicate in these ways, which makes it beneficial to use the technology. Changing our attitude toward it is key in overcoming the challenge.

Sharon,

Technology can be a great thing but what if technology creates barriers to other important characteristics, such as young people now prefer social media to one on one interaction?

Cindy Bryant

Bernadette,

I agree that there is nothing more intimate and motivating than the old face to face interaction.

Cindy Bryant

I prefer any type of communication that can be documented and time-stamped, i.e. email, posting to a SharePoint or database, etc. I saw another response that referenced posting to websites also. I like having a record and history that I can refer to when necessary.

I know that one on one interaction ( the old ways)is important too, but you cant forget that because of the new technology we can be any where in the wold and still manage to accomplish our Job/mission

Sign In to comment