Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Veteran with PTSD and Education

The notes from CM251 states that higher education needs to find a way to identify and deal with the students who may not be appropriate to the postsecondary environment without excluding students with psychological disabilities who are capable of functioning well in college.

I agree that we must address the needs of Soldiers who are deemed not fit or inoperable because they suffer from depression, PTSD or other psychological concerns. But how do we do it without discriminating against those with mental or psychological disorders. Opportunities are needed without regards to unproven and feared ideology about their ability to function within an educational institute and deal with their psychological disorders. This continue to be true for educational opportunity because there is a lag in addressing these concerns for veterans who needs to do both be educated, find employment and to be treat for their PTSD/diagnoses... How do we address these concerns at small schools who may not be equipped internally to deal with psychological and mental problems?

I suppose the best I can suggest is that the institution not try to be "all things" for these students. Treat them with appropriate respect and dignity for their abilities, and help them reach out for the resources in your community that can help them deal with the issues (from adjustments, to housing, to medical, and more) that your institution is NOT equipped to help with. Being a "welcoming community" where students feel comfortable and find people they can ASK for help doesn't necessarily mean that the help needs to be provided through you!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. There is the issue of safety for other students when psychological challenges are not being dealt with or are at a point where the student can be "functional" in the school setting. I have had many students come through my psychology class that suffer from PTSD, both former military and non military. The impulse control or anger management can be a challenge. I believe that if the school does not have staff on hand to deal with the "whole student" (the student and everything that comes along with that student) that they should offer some variation to the courses, such as offering them to groups of veterans at an alternate site such as the VA hospital. There are conference rooms that could be used as classrooms. General Education classes can be offered to students while obtaining the psychological assistance they need and then transition to a school setting. I would certainly be willing to bring my class to a group. Also, having a security officer on hand at the school and a counseling service on site would assist with some of the on site situations that arise. The perfect answer does not exist but everyone should feel safe and welcome, therefore creativity and flexibility is required to solve these issues.

I think you are right, Melissa. The key here is for EVERYONE to feel safe and welcome. We tend to try and find ways to make a single solution workable for all (within the campus). Maybe a better answer is to look at finding alternative routes and locations for education. Interesting idea...

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think creating programs for soldiers to interact with other soldiers will be great. Also having a soldier over the program that can relate to the veterans helps veterans fell at ease.

Andrea,
My understanding is that a lot of Vets do not get involved in school-based programs because they don't believe that the traditional college-aged student can relate to their experiences. I think your idea of having the program headed by someone who can honestly say, "been there, done that!" is a good one.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Hi! I think Andrea has a great idea regarding Veteran assistance through peer groups. I have seen "Veterans Clubs" where students get together to discuss issues such as benefits, active duty, and academic issues. This seemed to work quite well, and I believe it would provide a good forum for those that may suffer from PTSD.

Denise,
It certainly would be an environment in which vets feel "safe" in discussing their difficulties in readjusting. Sounds like a plna!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

We have had two accommodation requests recently for service dogs for veterans diagnosed with PTSD-is this becoming a more common request and are their considerations in medical or culinary programs where a clinical/kitchen experience is required?

Cheryl,
Yes, there are considerations. I would suggest consulting with your local Office of Civil Rights as well as the local department of health when these requests arise. They will help provide guidance.

Sarah Smoger

Good idea! I'll suggest this to Administration since we have, and had students with PTSD. Perhaps the alumni can be encouraged to run the group.

Sign In to comment