Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it is very important to be that "glue" that new students need in helping them to form a close bond with the staff and other students the first week of school. By scheduling an after-school activity that they can all do will really help. Order pizza at the school and have the students all work on a special project or partake in games that encourage team building would be effective.

Shelly--

'Glue' is an excellent analogy! As you point out, providing opportunities for students to interact and build relationships with faculty and staff help them 'bond' to the institution and significantly increase their likelihood of completion.

Susan

I really enjoyed reading all the posts and feel my campus really lacks on first week anything! While our modules are only 4 weeks long and we always do some sort of food for the entire campus each mod, i like the idea of doing something extra special for new students during week one. I am going to see about implimenting a new student lunch on the last day of the first week. This will be a sort of offical hand off from admissions to education, with both groups being present at this luncheon! I am very excited!!

I learned quite a few helpful things in this module. I never thought about how letting a class out early could have an impact on their perception of the school. On the first day, quite a few instructors dismiss class early. I'm definitely going to mention to our director of education that this may not be a good idea.

Kim--

That is very common...to let class out early on the first day. It happens nearly everywhere. As noted in this discussion, however, it also sets an expectation and I have heard students complain (and also stop attending the first day of sessions) because they don't really accomplish anything -- or at least that's how they feel.

Susan

After reading this section's module, I realized that incorporating more visits from alumni who are in the industry can help enhance the first week activities. I'm thinking what I might do is invite an alumni I am in contact with to speak after I have given my own lecture on how the course will help students in the workplace. What better way to follow up that lecture than with an alumni who can affirm that material? It would even be fun to coordinate a hands-on activity with the guest speaker that simulates an issue student will confront in the workplace.

Personally, as an instructor I like the idea of bringing candy to the first class to show knowledge is sweet. Cover the requirements, my availability and other ways of finding support such as student "study buddies". Then cover expectations, do an ice breaker, interactive assignment with the other students and have a class discussion. then allow time to begin the homework assignment so I can see that everyone understands and is on the right track.

Yes, that is an excellent idea. I present a bio and discuss my experience so the students can get a sense of who I am and what I have accomplished in the field.

we need to be conected with the student problems and know how they feel in class . every day they need to learn something in class and we need to check how we should help them to fell sucesful.

direct comunication with all student has been effective for me

Because we have Ongoing Classes using a Pivot Point system, we have new students joining existing students every week. This makes it difficult to assimilate new students and I can see how a new student feels "inadequate" in this environment. We definitely have to "involve" our newer students. Some ideas I have are: Having the incoming students introduce themselves to the rest of the class, a monthly get together of ALL new students - to exchange phone numbers, etc.,

Caridad--

Direct communication with the effective parties is always the best...in class, at work, personally. This is a skill we should encourage our students to also acquire.

Susan

I believe that having a well defined goal outline for students to follow during the first week could be very helpful.Having a certain amount of structure could help the student feel more at ease with the school environment.When the student feels that they have clear expectations they feel less disoriented.

I firmly beleive that you should lead by example. It's critical during the first week (more so that the second) that the instructor should be the first one in the classroom and pleasantly greet students as they arrive. The instructor should also follow the same rules given students. I alway start out the beginning of a new class by holding up my cell phone and turning it off.
Additionally, encourageing students to mentor each other is a very effective tool for building student relationships and comraderie.

Daisy--

That is an excellent point and often overlooked. Structure is way more important, even for adults, than we often think. Great observation.

Susan

Tim--

Excellent point and well taken. Faculty defintely need to set the tone and lead by example. Greeting your students as they arrive is also a nice touch. So many faculty like to make a 'grand entrance' just as the class is supposed to begin. Funny how we don't like it so much when students do that :)

Love the cell phone visual!

Susan

This the start line of a race, in order to do well at every stage of it and arrive at the finishing line in good condition and time, we need to know in advance: the participant field, (teacher and students)the route(syllabus),the rules of the race,(teaching methods, grading method)the assistance(review of questions and difficult topics,practical ideas to learn), resources (books,computers,tutors), the possible obstacles (job,transportation, family issues) and advice for possible solution, and specially telling the students you as a teacher are in the race as well all the way from start to finish!!

Prepare audiovisual materials, regarding academic expectations, and personal presentation in the classroom.

This is a hard one to answer... because we're a small school and a technical college the students only go a couple of days a week. I know that in the past we have had a potluck during their break time so they could get to know each other better and enjoy food (which seems to be very popular with everyone). We've tried to implement several processes to try to make the students more connected and feel like a "family" while here. A birthday board, student of the month, and activities such as potlucks. But those wouldn't necessarily be during the first week of school.

Something we do at each orientation is a personality profile test with activities. The students really enjoy this and it also gives them a chance to see what their classmates are like and how to better understand and appreciate both themselves and others. An example of this type of test is True Colors.

Raul--

I am a big believer in audio-visual materials and other things that help 'bring to life' what the institution is about. Great!

Susan

Sign In to comment