Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Susan

I make sure everyone gets to know each other in class and build a family, etc. Also, I make sure everyone understands where is the library, division office, etc. (online showcasing help or tech support, etc.)

Thanks

Alana

It is important to make students feel they belong at your college, so make them feel welcome and make them intoduce themselves to the class, will make students more connected with the class and with others.

Hernando--

You are absolutely correct that allowing students to get to know us and their classmates is important. Do you do any other activities to help keep those connections with other students going?

Susan

Many processes can be implemented that will enhance first week activities. Let’s focus on orientation. As this course discussed it is very important to have an interactive, informative and support event. It needs to bind the learner to the institution so He or She leaves as a student.

Having the students join clubs or get involved with student activities is a great way to have them more connected to the college. Also, by having the students study up on the history of the school tends to have the students more appreciative for their school of choice.

Leslie--

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the outcomes for an effective orientation. Do you have some things that have been especially effective at your institution?

Susan

One of the things that I recently started doing was having my students fill out a "Short-term Goals" agreement. This is an agreement that they make with themselves, but it gives me some insight into the bigger picture as to why they chose to get an education. It covers overcoming some barriers to their education, making a commitment to themselves, and where they want to be at the end of the module, school, five years from now, etc. It allows them to actually visualize themselves where they want to be and then focus on how they are going to get there. It's a great format too for giving them a little more information about some of the resources that are available to them through the school. I have had students read over the form and say "I didn't know that..."

I post notices of late policy submission rules and a tome I call "Great Expectations" which basically addresses the things I am expecting from the student (I sub title my discussion about this as "How to get an 'A'"). I then review what would be typical of a "C" paper and what would make it move up to a "B" paper. The "A" is explained as being somewhat out of the box and past the assignment parameters. I then give very specific examples based on the first weeks reading assignment and paper requirements, right down to the number of paragraphs for each part.

David--

What a fun idea! People always retain more when it is an enjoyable experience and it sounds like you make your class just that. Kudos!

Susan

Having instructors of advanced electives come in
to class to review curriculum and certificates
available and encourage students to consider
carefully which manufacturer certifacates they
would like to have at graduation, and how they will help them with future employment and give them somthing to look forward to after gradution and help motivate them to complete the program.

We also do the "who am I", and in addition each student has a name tag they are required to wear. Issuing the name tag which has the student's picture, and the school logo helps to give the student a sense of belonging.

Stephen--

Excellent point. Keeping a 'future' goal in front of them early and frequently helps keep student motivated. I like relating the two... future coursework and future employment.

Susan

I am interested in implementing some of the suggestions regarding the first day and the first week of class for faculty. Due to our highly compacted class scheduling, further events in the first week after orientation are not ideal. But more attention and guidance for the faculty would definitely enhance the student experience.

Kaitlin--

You bring up a good point. We have focused our discussions primarily on student orientations. A faculty orientation (training) would also provide significant benefits. I believe there is a forum/class specifically on that, but I would encourage you to consider implementing something for your faculty that would outline some of the great ideas posted in this class by faculty themselves. Most of them center around taking time to get to know and assist students individually and to begin to recognize 'warning' signs for students at risk.

Susan

I sometimes have my students break into pairs and I have them interview each other and then give a bio on the person they interviewed to the class. This helps new students make a direct connection with a classmate and helps introduce the student to the rest of the class. It is sometimes easier to talk about someone else rather then talk about yourself.

Jill--

This is an excellent exercise and I agree, it helps students get to know each other rather quickly. When you have to introduce someone else, you tend to really listen and ask good questions resulting in getting to know them better and faster.

Susan

Having door greeters during the first week of class. Ensuring each student knows where they are going and being available to answer any questions they might have.

My university is a virtual campus. Therefore, I like to provide ample and appealing announcements to highlight elements of concern and interest. Second, I provide a solid group of instructor files/aids to not only provide the assistance but also display my concern on their behalf by doing so. Third, I open a discussion board for classmate introductions to each other, providing my own as a first example. I provide a clear presentation of course expectations. For our first live chat, I begin with ice breaker questions and answers, my personal experience in project based learning and our class purpose and ambition for the furtherance of their careers, a visual and audio review of course expectations, and a thorough review of their first assignment and my expectations, including a grading rubric in association with that assignment. I also try very hard to display that I do not bite and like to laugh.

Getting to know the students by name and area inwhich they plan to major makes an immediate connection with the student. I try to check with them face to face and let them know I know them so they feel a connection. I check with them after they have attended a few classes to determine how they feel about their elationship to the school and faculty compared to their entering expectations. This give me a good opportunity to shown them I am interested and open the door for them to likewise approach me if they have doubts or problems.

It is important that students know you a litter bit as intructor, I give them a litter talk about my background, how I started as intructor, my experience as intructor and in my profesion, how to be succeful in the campus once you graduate and the future in the carrie.
I also make them to introduce themself and to talk a litter bit about them.

Sign In to comment