Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Enhancing First Week Activities

What process can you implement that will enhance your first week activities and make students more connected to your college?

I like the activities that make the students talk about themselves and why they are doing what they are doing. It's also helpful to get them to discuss what their ultimate goal is when they complete their education.

I write on the board what they need to have and do, as they write the info down they see it and read it, then we go over in depth what we are looking for.

During the first week of school I try to make a point of introducing the students to each of the "amenities" of the school. The library on-site and online, the services they offer, how to use the references, what references they can find, what types of things the librarian can assist them with, and how anything they can do outside of class to learn more or to learn differently (online games) will help them to succeed. Another amenity is the plugs for "recharging" or utilizing personal electronics located in the snack/vending/lunch/ commons/bookstore/security office area and the services that can be received there. I also enjoy introducing the students to the "multimedia" and online resources that accompany each of the text. I want the students to feel that even though each of them are unique in their style of learning we will provide alternate resources to assist with their success of our program.

During our first week of classes we try to familiarize the students with all aspects of the school, we invite staff, other faculty and president to drop in on class, introduce themselves and explain their role at the school. Once students can see who these people are and know what they do they can feel more connected to their surroundings. You must also always make time for the students to spend some time getting to know each other, their fellow classmates are going to serve as a support system through the program and they need to have time to get to know each other.

Kay,

You bring up two excellent points. One is that you spread this over the first week. Often times we give them so much information all at once it is difficult to remember everything. Secondly, you are covering many good 'practical' items (e.g. the recharging) that are often overlooked in an orientation session. Great job!

Susan Backofen

Marcie,

Wonderful! I love that you have faculty, staff and administration come in to classes as another touch to welcome students and make them feel part of the family!

Susan Backofen

We also spread activities across the first week to include "mixer" type events with food, meet and greet events with faculty, meetings with student advisors (similar to the temperature check in the module) and an email from the Director of Student Management asking what students have learned so far, what they like, and how things are going. During the second and third week we schedule focus groups with new students to find out how we can improve the process of transition between Admissions and the other departments.

I like to use icebreakers in all of my classes to get students engaged and talking to one another. I try to make it fun. We also call all absent students and share informatiion with their admissionss reps. Our admission reps get involved in the calls, too. We don't have events with food, but I like the idea. Maybe we'll try that next start!

Jacqueline,

How wonderful that you reach out so well the first three weeks! I am sure this makes a huge difference in your retention.

Susan Backofen

Extracurricular activities during the first week of school provides a setting to become involved and to interact with other students, thus leading to increased learning and enhanced development. Specifically, a student's peer group is the most important source of influence on a student's academic and personal development. By identifying with a peer group, that group may influence a student's affective and cognitive development as well as his or her behavior.

Since it is an online program, provide the opportunity for students to meet their instructors, meet other students and interact with both parties. Introducing Career Services and providing contact information is also a great way to start the program.

We already have a process in place that validates the student starting. A student must have all of the following in place before they start: required paperwork, financial aid, and orientation attendance.

Mary,

Building those online relationships early is important...especially with the faculty and their fellow students.

Susan Backofen

Get to know you game. I have the student fill out a questionaire with things about themselves adn then they share it with the classmates. also I have the students write a paragraph on why they are coming to school or why they want to be a medical assistant. I make a copy for them and have them read when they are having the bad day to remind them of why they decided to come to school.

I like to use a cliff hanger at the end of all first week meetings, give them something to look forward to as well as think about while they are away from campus. I also try to give them a snap shot of the week on the board so they can plan ahead for the week. Each day talking about the items they have questions about regarding the school and processes.

Cheryl,

Excellent! I love those letters, etc. that we can use to help students remember why they came back to school. Somehow reading what they, themselves wrote makes a huge difference.

Susan Backofen

Great! I really believe this would help to reinforce why they made the decision to come to school.

Occassional BBQ's happen here. The students love the opportunity to connect here.

In addition, I ask the students about thier passion in the industry and thier future plans. The process I take is seen in 3 p's: person, passion, plan.

I like to make it a point to learn everyone in the classrooms name in the first week,
I also like to go around the room and have each student introduce themselves to me and the class to learn a little about the student and help each of them get to know one another.

Sign In to comment