Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teresa,

I really like closing your orientation by 'making' them real students with books, etc.!

Susan Backofen

I am such a new employee to concorde that I have not yet experienced an orientation. However, it looks like the instructors and other staff are strongly encouraged to participate.

We have all the departments in orientation. Fianicial aide goes over individual information, the business office and employee services helps with the introductions of the other staff. the LRC creates the student IDs. Acedmics introduces themselves to the group and then each program will have an addition orientation with their specific students. In the end the students have a chance to talk to everyone.

In addition to admadmission services, propective students meet with career services reperesentaive to inform them about the kind resources that are available not only for students after they graduate, but also for those who need jobs to suport themselves as they pursue their career goals. Meetings are scheduled for students to meet with at least one program directors. This collective effort is to make the student leave the orientation as student.

One of the main contacts with students is the department of Academics. We involve academics in orientation by having the faculty give backgrounds on themselves and introduce the students to their primary area of interest. They explain how their education and field experience helps them to make their courses more interesting and applicable to the students choice of career fields.

Dayton,

It is wonderful that you specifically have faculty address their education and work experience to what students will learn in class!

Susan Backofen

Student services: ID badges, print materials, tip sheets (phone #s, where to go for....)

Bookstore: get texts and materials for 1st classs

Campus president and dean: welcome; motivation for making decision to attend, success stories, open doors for questions/issues

Core program director (and as many faculty as possible): finish orientation in core breakout groups for discussion of schedule, course materials, program in general, address questions

The students meet with the program directors at orientation. This helps them become more knowledgable about thier specific program and they know who to go to in case they run into any problems.

At my institution we make it a point in invite all programs and departments to orientation. Finacial Aid department is a key element, due to the fear most students have about not being able to afford their education.

At our institution each department plays a role at orientation. We employ a "scavenger hunt" of sorts, that sends students to different stations throughout the building, and complete a checklist. Outside of this event, the Education department as the most interaction with the students, providing information on classes, scheduling, and our use of an online learning management system to interact with students throughout the school year.

As a faculty I requested that the DON include us in the orientation so the nursing student can meet the nursing faculty.

1 - Student Affairs, 2- Education, 3- Business Office, 4- Financial Aid ... all departments demonstrate that we support each other and our students.

I believe that I have already submitted a reply

Although all departments play an important role in helping students to be successful, the one department that has the most interaction with each student is the Academic department. This includes the Dean, Director, and all of the instructors. During orientation that get to meet the Dean, Director and instructors if available. They have contact with the Dean and Director prior to the orientation so having them at orientation provides the students with a familiar face.

Dallan,

This sounds like a great format~!

Susan Backofen

The faculty. Faculty can make or break a student. Faculty that are mediocre and do not hold students to a high standard will get the low standards in return. Students want to be challenged.

Each department is introduced during orientation. It is in a lecture format.. Then the new students are split into their program of study. I think reinforcing or offering a Q & A during the individual program of study orientation is a GREAT idea! I will also be trying the after orientation survey!

Other departments that have interactions with the students are financial aid, student affairs and job placement. These departments are important to ensure success for our students, since for example: job placement will train students and advise them as to resume writing, job opportunities or other skills important for their future success.

Our students are exposed to a variety of departments during the orientation process. Admissions, Career Services, Academics are all included in the general orientation. Then each program has "break-out" sessions with the program diretors to discuss the specifics of the program.

The instructor have the most interaction with my students. I have them there to administer the orientation, answer questions and give a brief description of what they will be doing in class.

Sign In to comment