Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

They prepare them for the market after completing there education experience. They also work with them on interviewing techniques and basic interpersonal skills

Our institution doesn't have the instructors involved in the orientation process. I like the idea of having the instructors meet with the students and relay to them their experience and credentials. Also relay to them how honored they are to have them and how impressed we are with them taking this major step in life and the sacrifices they are making to change their life.

We really interact our Directors of each trade here at our facility so that students learn the process of a chain of command just like how it would be in the field. Each and every one of them has and open door policy as one would in the upper management in the field as well.

All departments are part of our orientation:

Admissions organizes the students and creates the agenda for the day. they will have always their director present. Front desk, receives and greeds the students. School president, receives the students in the room and welcomes them to school; DOE, Welcomes the students and introduces them to the school. He also introduces the Lead instructors and Faculty members. LEad Instructors, give additional inforamtion to the students, this more specific about what to really expect, how thing's will be from that moment on. Lead's keep them quite engage. I.T Departmen and Procurment, give books, uniforms, ID's etc. Financial Aid, assist with any additional documents the students may have to fill prior their fisrt day.Career Services, welcomes students, introduces their department and makes students aware of their schedule and roll on helping them succed.

As the Director of Education I feel it is vital that I participate in orientation. I introduce the students to the individuals in each department that the students will interact with during orientation. Our students will meet with our LRC staff along with our Academic Success Center staff, during this time students will have individual email accounts set up with a training session. The students will then move on to learn how to access material in the Learning Resource Center. Once the students have completed these two steps they begin the journey with faculty.

daniel,

Excellent point. We are not only training them with the necessary skills, but also have a responsibility to prepare them for the 'real' world which includes appropriate problem solving.

Susan Backofen

Nelson ,

This sounds like a very robust and thorough orientation. How long does this usually run?

Susan Backofen

As a campus instructor, I often engage in conversations about my personal exp. within the dental field, how 19 years has lead me to a place of "giving back" my knowledge. Potential students are always interested in hearing "true" success stories.

Our instructional faculty and Program Coordinator handles orientation. That way students get to know their intructors before the first day of classes. We also take the students on a second tour of the facility to make them feel more comfortable in a new environment.

During our orientation our students interact with many departments from our school. They first come into orientation and meet their student service advisor. Student service advisor goes through the basics of attending school i.e.; expectation dress code things to expect on the first day; Id badge, tour, meeting staff members, meeting instructors etc. Then our financial aid advisor gives them a brief overview of things he is able to offer or help them with. Career services then comes in and lets the students know what it will take for them to earn an externship. After career services comes in one of their instructors comes in and goes over the computer system. Helps them set up a schedule and gives them syllabi for the classes. Then the campus director comes in and speaks to the students. Then their student service advisor gives them their student ID number and shows them how to log in and out of the time clock. Their instructor then takes them and gets the student logged into the computer system so they can begin their classes.

The campus president, campus Deans, Human resources, EMB Medical (for shots) and counselor's. They all play an important part of making the transition smoother and letting know and recognize who is who and where to go to for further information.

At the school I work for we have everyone that is going to interact with the student during their time at our school meet them during the first day. This ensures that the student will have many people to interact with on day one. Hopefully the student will find a staff member that they feel comfortable with and make a connection that will help the student be successful at our school.

Seth,

This sounds like a very thorough introduction and gets them prepared for classes. Do you have any 'ice breaker' type activities?

Susan Backofen

At our organization, all departments play some sort of role at orientation. Students Services handles the majority of school expectations, proper conduct, and school requirements. Financial Aid and Career Services comes in and introduces themselves. In addition, to the students orientation, the instructors will come at end and handles their classroom orientation and introduce them to the computer instruction piece. In all, orientation last from 9 to approximately 11:00.

The teachers, the staff and the students all have a current involvement with the incoming class. It is important that you, as an instructor, should present yourself with a sense of assurance that the incoming students have made the right choice in coming to your institution.

Academic department (teachers and professors) is the main department.
We also engage admissions department in the first week of classes.
They are the first person I met students, and the best person to introduce them to all activities.

We have "joint activities" with the admissions staff, teachers, tutors and the president of the institution.

Every department interacts with new students at orientation. Admissions reps see them the most as they direct the students throughout the building to complete the orientation process but end with the academic team where they can ask questions and learn more about their department.

Veronica,

That is awesome that you include Admissions the entire first week to help transition students.

Susan Backofen

the big one

I would say every department plays an important role. Registrar or/and Dean of Academic start the Orientation, our finical, instructor, and admissions will come to the class and talk to them. We want them to know where to go and feel more comfortable.

Sign In to comment