Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Improving Retention

Identify 3 specific steps you will take within the next 30 days to improve retention at your institution.

Retention is about doing the right things the right way, having the right people at the right place atthe right time.

There is a Hawiian term... Kina Ole; the term is defined as: doing the right thing for the right reason the first time.

I believe there is value in that practice.

I will support srudent that are having any hardship, if made know for example if a student express they need food we will have a food driuve to support the student, I will ask students often if everything is going well., which I do often. I will continue to show concern about absence. I will implement learning games in course theory as implemented in the pass.

1) The students always ask individual questions while we are working in the shop. I will make sure to give them the information they are looking for and include a light lecture of what each students strengths are and how it can be used out in the industry in which they are working to make their career.
2) I will find the strength of my weakest student and find the right time for him to be able to display this strength in front of my other students to allow him to shine in front of his peers.
3) I will reassure students when they ask questions that they are great questions and to keep em coming.
4) I will emphisize to students not to be discouraged when making mistakes and expound on how they must be used for tools of growth.
4) Compliment, compliment compliment....

Addressing issues students are having with the class, finding new ways to present informationt keep the classes educational and interesting, and to motivate the students to reach the goals they have set for themselves.

* Keep them focused on long-term goals by making the course material relevant to their desired career.
* Encouraging students to discuss difficulties with me directly.
* Communicating concerns with other staff members.

Continue to do things the right way
Continue to encourage students when the material is "too tough"
Set aside more time

1. I will work with the counselors and create a survey which I can use to determine the likes, dislikes, strengths and weaknesses of my students and my classroom presentations.

2. Individual counseling with my students, beginning with those at risk and ending with those most successful.

3. Consult with the students' other teachers to find if there are established patterns in each students performance to determine if we can work together to create a better environment for the students' learning and feeling of self worth.

1.) Be even more positive

2.) Smile even more

3.) Tell the students even more how much I appreciate teaching them

These 3 things have worked very well for me...and I am trying to amp them up even more.

All of my students have things in their lives that are stressful and difficult (i.e. families, jobs etc.). I make my classroom a place where they enjoy coming to instead of a place that they dread.

Three things to improve retention, positive attitude, be apart of the student and develop exercise that stimulate the mind of the students.

1. Thank the students for their committment in attending late night classes.

2. Recognize in public good performance in lab classes.

3. Set clear expectations for the next class sessions.

1-give the students more praise when doing well
2-give more encouragement to all students
3-demonstrate postive attitude and create a classroom environment condusive to learning

1. Design and schedule workshops on study tips, research process, and computer basics from the library staff.

2. Provide an activity that will include the faculty, staff, and students in a social opportunity (like a treasure hunt at the library) with refreshments.

3. Recognize/award a peer tutor for his/her contribution to student success in the library's Tutoring Program.

Smile more often!
Take a few more deep breaths...
Keep calm and carry on.

1. Implement a field trip each term to keep the overall goal in mind and highlight the expectations of the students' long term success

2. Identify peer mentors in the class to sit and work with newer students to help make them feel more comfortable.

3. Put a suggestion box in the classroom that I can collect routinely. Making appropriate changes within the class and possibly share ideas with the campus when it involves suggestions for outside the class.

Be clear each and every day on how the day's lesson will impact them in their chosen career path. Show enthusiam for job-well-done by all students, especially ones who tend to hang back and be more shy... and continue to support all departments and staff so that we have continuity and open dialogue among ourselves and toward the students. I currently am working on a field trip for my students which has them super excited to be in my class!

1. Identify student's goals for the program.
2.Implement a plan that helps student follow thrugh with goals.
3. Track student progress each step of the way

I intend to continue giving positive feedback (written and orally), try to present information in ways that cater to different learning styles, have clear objectives and instructions, include more group work, have conferences with students, have a guest speaker or two, and give a perfect attendance award to students who achieve it in my classes.

We have a provisional program for new students. A group of these students are assigned a mentor (an instructor from their program). These groups meet once a week during their provisional period. Program directors go to each class twice a quarter and discuss any issues the students have and try and quell the rumor mill. We also provide a Christmas lunch for day stuedents and a Christmas supper for night students.

Keep a positive attitude, communicate with students who are having trouble in class, encourage students to communicate.

Sign In to comment