Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What's the agenda when the "advisory group" meets? Student led? Voluntary? How do you measure outcomes and coordinate follow up?

The "agenda" varies.

First, each instructor (or advisor) decides when their group will meet and what they will do.

For me, in my checkered past, I was a group counselor for a couple of years. Usually, there is food involved. Pot Luck or Pizza. "break bread with your feet under the same table".

Sometimes, I have an article out of a professional journal I will pass around. Sometimes, I just throw open the floor to see what comes out. If I have a specific game or article, it is usually in answer to something specific that I have perceived as a problem that needs addressing.

Periodically, we will group two advisory groups for a meeting. They tell me that it is grouping a "weaker staff" with a "stronger staff". (I always ask which is which)

These meetings ARE voluntary on the part of the student. But, mandatory on the part of the instructor. The "front office" tracks how many withdrawals occur from within a given advisory group. I'm afraid I don't know the exact percentages they use, but when an instructor reaches a certain number of withdrawals from within their advisory group, they are counseled. I'm afraid I am not sure what would happen for a continued problem since there havent been any past the initial counseling since the inception of the program... uh.. four years ago.

Periodically, we offer a "prize" for the advisory group with the strongest attendance. or the best test scores on the certification tests. or the best sememster grades. These might be a "free" cert test or something small like a coffee mug (with school logo) for each member of the group.

As for follow up... in my groups, at least, I tend to focus more on the peer counseling benefits. The buddy system. And I have been known to ask a student how their buddy is if I havent seen them on a given day. Rather than calling the students myself, I have been accused of ... "siccing your minions on me!"

Before anyone blows up my email... I have noticed that when a student misses class, there is a certain personality that feels like they are now IN TROUBLE. They avoid calls from the school and the instructor... but if a fellow student calls them... They perceive that they were missed, that someone cares. Then, when they return, I as the instructor make sure and say "welcome back! we missed you." before I go on with the lecture. As the advisor, I stop them in the hall on their way by and ask them if they are ok. NOT "where were you?" or start telling them what they missed. But, checking on their health and their family health first.

we have student of the course and this goes to student with best overall scores in class, lab , attendance. this is what a lot of employers look for in our students.

A student's success is related directly to the environment of the teacher/educator on a emotional and personal level. Retention is driven by what the student believes their relationship is with the instuctor and school as a whole. This may be why a student will do well in one class and poorly in another.

We as humans are driven by our own unique emotional strengths and weakness. If a teacher/educator can tap into this river of possiblies with the student and understands what drives their personal successes, the problems of attriton and retention due to a students self image are deminished.

The literature about retention is full of studies citing the importance of students feeling connected with the institution and more importantly, people within the organization.

For the time that a student is in class, their instructor is the institution. What happens during that period shapes the student's assessment of the school. Too many bad experiences and they will decide to drop out.

The same is dynamic is true in Financial Aid, placement, the learning center - anywhere there is interaction between student and staff/faculty.

I feel our tutoring program helps assure that those in need of it can and will make to graduation.

James, who does the tutoring? How often do students use the program? Do they need an appointment or can they just stop by a tutoring center?

Showing the students guidance , leadership , striving to make them the best they can be , staying in touch with the student even after they graduate .

Our commitment to the students are to provide them with the best education possible , stay committed to them and stay in touch even after they graduate .

Tutoring occurs Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday after class or before class, and if needed we also tutor during the 1/2 hr lunch break. The tutoring generally is conducted by the instructor teaching the course, however sometimes it is conducted by a different instructor. I prefer having a different instructor to tutor for my class, because delivery method may offer the student a different perspective on the same material.

when a student comes to you whit a problem that you dont have an answer for, find someone that can help then follow up to see how things are doing, if you dont the student could get the feeling of being pushed along.

In our school if a student is testing bellow 70% we sit down with them to discuss what we can do to help them. We try to find out if they have any issues that are interfering with their class work. However, we only have a student for three weeks then they move onto the next class. This makes tracking their progress by an instructor nearly impossible.

There have been several references about the short time [3 weeks] faculty members have students and how it may make connections difficult. How long have you been using this system? Will its efficacy be reviewed and evaluated?

This school was set up on that premise, each course is 3 weeks long 6 hours a day. Each course is usually taught by a different instructor, but some teach more than one course. Some of our schools are toying with 4 week programs with shorter days to help with outside school concerns, "allows more time for a Job" but takes longer to complete the program.

I don't really see the 3 weeks as much of an issue to connect with most of the students, usually by day two I know where each are from and what they plan to do with their education once finished. I typically allow a little down time to make my way around the room to personally meet each student. I think this helps them feel like they can come to me later if they have problems.

A constant emphasis is placed on what we refer to as Accelerated Learning. This is supported and re-enforced at Group-Size and Full Staff Meetings where techniques are shared and suggestions are made, follow-up and variations are presented, not usually in a formal way but rather between the individuals that are involved in that particular course. The perception of many of the students is that all the staff are involved in keeping the various subject matter involving, challeging and interesting.

Sounds interesting, Albert. What is Accelerated Learning? Do all students participate? What are the learning objectives?

Our institution is committed to the success of our students by monitoring student trends. For instance, we employ peer tutors for students who are struggling in the more difficult classes. The peer tutors offer a different point of view and can be a great motivator. If they can do it so can I.

Our school demonstates committment to our students by having resources available to service any needs that arise while they are in school. The problem is, most wait until it is too late to reach out for help.

we have a student of the course in every class every 3 weeks,the compitition is very great umognst the top performers.

Every member must be commited to the students for the institution to be succesfull.

Sign In to comment