Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We provide extra tutorials to struggling students,to help improve their academic performance,which in turn facilitates retention.

Again, easier said than done. How would you monitor this?

How do you make extra tutorials available - online, in the classroom, in a tutoring center? What's the level of participation? Are your students able to find time to take advantage of this extra help?

WOW first of all thanks I've gotten a couple of ideas that I will present today in our retention meeting! We have an awards ceremony each quarter that students may receive certificates for perfect attendance and GPA also there's a drawing for a 200 bookstore credit.

In my school we use a variety of rewards. These range all the way from class room awards to rewards for each segment as they go thru school. To qualify, a student must excell with grades, attendence, workmanship and a professional attitude. With these goals along the way, a student achieve short and long term goals as he or she goes thru school and be constantly reinforced. along with student services we can deal with almost any problem.

My job revolves around this. I coordinate awards to recognize student achievements and follow up with students who are concerns.

Each of our students is assigned an academic advisor. If the student has an issue, whether it is personal or academic, he can go to his instructor or academic advisor. If the instructor or academic advisor is unable to help, we have a student services department with dedicated employees to assist the student in any way they can.

There is a flow chart of the chain of command hanging on the major bulletin boards in each stairwell so every student is able to follow the chain to get the assistance he needs.

It's great to hear that you got some ideas. Please let us know how those at the retention meeting respond to your presentation.

Who determines what awards will be given and to whom? How often does the institution review the effectiveness of the awards program? Are the awards motivators for students?

Interesting way to share information.

How much contact information is included on the flow chart? Titles, names, phone numbers, office location, etc?

All instructors contact absent students to find out why they were not in class.

Our school rules are made to teach students resposibility and commitment.

We have a practice of writing a student advisement form whenever a student misses a day or has more than 2 tardies / leave earlies. By talking to the student and letting them know you, as an instructor, are concerned, the student receives the assurance that they are valued and important to the school and to themselves.

The flow chart includes a picture of the person, their name, and title.

That's a good idea to include a phone number and office location. I will have to make that recommendation.

We make sure our learning enviroment is a two way street. By applying student input into the daily lesson they feel like they're input really counts. I find this makes them want to be here each and every day

Our school has made all the instructors available for students on their breaks incase they have any questions about the course work as well as personal issues.

We have a student advocate who helps out with the students personal issues, for example: not having daycare.

We also have student services who helps out with academic processes.

We have tutors (faculty and peers) who can help with the course work.

The school offers peer tutoring to students who are having difficulty with their coursework. If a peer tutor is not available in the area a student needs help, then a faculty member with volunteer to tutor the student.

Also, our institution offers programs to keep students involved. These programs carry over to the home life of the student.....for example, health topics.

We encourage the students to participate in the course plan. If the students agree that a different project or approach would enable them to learn and retain and the input does not change the desired outcome, it is an excellent way to get them involved.

Involvement results in retention.

I am really going to have to agree with Mr. Herman Gould. Cause Herman is really a special instructor.

I find this makes them want to be here each and every day as well.

Is the student advocate an employee or a student who is an advocate? How do you measure their effectiveness?

Sign In to comment