Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our commitment to the student begins in the admissions department and continues well beyond their last day in class. We attempt to schedule graduates, who fought adversity to complete their educational goals, to speak to our current students to demonstrate how success is possible and how all departments of the school helped in that success.

This certainly is an effective to show current students the path to success. How often do you try to have graduates speak with them? Is this part of a class or in a less formal setting?

Do your admissions reps continue to connect with students after they enroll? If so, what is their role?

We do a rewards ceremony at the end of every mod (6 weeks). I give certificates and pins to any student that has earned a grade of 90% or higher. I also reward perfect attendance. The first time a student achieves perfect attendance I give them a book bag that says perfect attendance. Everytime thereafter, I give them some reward that is program specific. I also give them a certificate and a pin.

I encourage the students to keep these certificates in a portfolio. Many students come up to me and tell me that they have hung them up in their room or in their home somewhere. I have adult students that appreciate the certificates because they have something they can take home and show their children. They hope their children will follow by example.

If I am a day late with the awards I get asked all day long "When are we getting our awards?" This makes me feel good. I know they appreciate it.

Great example, Kathryn. I think many of us make the mistake of projecting our own value system onto others. For people who haven't been recognized for any type of success, simple rewards can be very meaningful as your example demonstrates.

I would like to encourage other participants to post examples of recognition programs that have had a positive benefit. Has anyone had a bad experience?

Our director does a one week survey after the first week to see if our students are seeing what he mentioned in orientation. He also asks for a written set of goals from each new student to be taken to his office. He returns these goals to the students at the first midterm evaluation--at eight weeks--to see if each student can see where those goals are being met. I think it is a great way to let the students see that their goals matter to us.

Each director and instructor asking for a list of a student's goals helps the students recognize their own goals and helps both the instructors and the students to see if those goals are realistic and being met by the content of their classes. That is a form of commitment from both the students and the instructors.

What is the time horizon for the initial goal setting? Do you have an educational unit that teaches a goal setting rubric? Do you repeat the process to include their goals - personal and professional - after graduation?

We have a number of initiatives in place to assist struggling students. These range from tutoring (which is normal in most schools) to a food pantry for students that are temporarily struggling financially and need some support and assistance. I think the students really know we will do our best to support them in their educational pursuit.

It sounds like your school is quite student focused. What other services does it provide? What are the levels of use? [for example, how many times do students use the food pantry? How do you replenish supplies?]

Students utilize the food pantry quite often. We ask that students replenish the food they use when they are financially able. We also have fundraisers to buy food with. The students really appreciate the fact there is a safety net available, and are very willing to participate in fund raising.

We also provide assistance in finding local employment (most of our students are from out of state) and housing.

We set up a website filled with hundreds of free local social services and resources. Very well received.

Great idea, Steven. Is this site linked from your institution's home page? [driving traffic to your site] How did you generate the list - staff driven or student compiled? Researching local resources can be a valuable experience for the students.

Do you contact the agencies before posting them? Do you ever get any push back from them?

Our School Commitment to our students is demonstrated by the emphasis of our staff on the CAB (Campus Activities Board), and the student LINC (Leaders In the NTI Community)organizations.

Please share more details about these programs, Glenn. Who does what on the CAB? What types of organizations are included in the LINC?

Our school has side programs like a food bank, gift cards for clothing needs and fuel cards for students in need. To many it is there first time away from home on there own. That in it self is a stressful situation. This helps when students have problems budgeting there money for the first time on there own.

Sounds like a good safety net.

Who decides eligibility for these benefits? Is there a limit to what a student can receive? Is there an expectation that the student will re-pay the school at some point?

We have tutoring for the students before, after school and at lunch.

We come up with solutions contantly to help students needs.Some can not read well.

So we put a verbal copy of the test on a mp3 player and head phones.This way they can have the test read to them with out disturbing the class.

Do you get any resistance from faculty about students who are unable to read the tests? Do you have some who say that student shouldn't have been been admitted?

Is the instructor the one who is responsible for recording the exam?

No,they usualy know about the student before I get them by screening.

Yes,sometimes even I question just how much I can really help.Especialy if they have special needs and I am not trained for it.

No,my education manager is the one who does it.We download it and then delete it when the test is over.

We have a "Fast Lane" program that tracks a student throught the first few cycles very closely. We try and nip any problems in the bud and help the student not be stressed out.

Sign In to comment