Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We have programs in place for student housing, help finding jobs, counceling, tutoring, all of these things to help a student to succeed.

Contests can create a lot of positive buzz, but the downside is some students won't feel they are good enough to compete. To overcome this, you could make the subject a graded project required of everyone. Each section can then select "finalists" to be presented to the entire school for vote.

The subject matter could be related to a local non-profit agency or even school promotion [tee shirt design, poster for use in high schools, etc. The process is a way to reinforce an important message to the students.

Nicely stated, Tracy. I hope you have had the opportunity to pass on your wisdom to your colleagues.

Our institution posts success stories each Monday. The success stories are those of past students of our school. Along with those successes goes current job offers in our field. This is all tied to employment services which has a high success placement rate and offers lifetime job placement assistance.

Vast majority of employees contribute to "student pantry" on regular basis.

At our school as instructors we show student commitment with retention by calling and emailing students on their first absence if they have not contacted us to check on them and let them know assignments missed. We also send email notifications to Administration on any at risk students. We are in class an hour before class begins so students have the opportunity to come in early before class to get help and work on any project missed the day before so they do not fall behind. We also track our student’s progress in class on a weekly basis and identify at risk students. This information is discussed with students and a plan is created to help the student improve scores. This information is also sent to our supervisor in the form of a student tracking sheet then we meet with our supervisor to discuss options in helping the students to improve in areas where they are deficient. Tutors are recommended to at risk students and I personally offer tutoring before or after class to my students.

Our attendance policies strictly determine how students should be committed to attending school. Attedance/Employment Competencies are 10% of each course grade and encourage the students to be motivated to earn that extra easy grade for their classes. We also integrate real-life scenarios that students can expect to see so they get out of "book" mode and down and dirty into a topic.

We listen to our students and watch for any unusual behavior. Also students can visit our Student Service staff to address personal, financial, or academic concerns.

We have an Emergency Fund, that is used to help students out when life throws them a bad hand. Our Emergency fund has been used: to get a student a bicycle to get back and forth to school when their car breaks down,to help pay for prescriptions to get a student healthy again to attend. We also have a food pantry. These things support the students when sudden unexpected stress is introduced into their lives.

Our school requires instructors to contact student if they are not in class. This causes students to identify any problems they are have that interferes with their education.

Our school commitment is demonstrated through numerous avenues. I feel the students really enjoy the awards ceremonies which are always followed by a cake reception at which the students can mingle with the faculty and staff. We also provide activities such as bringing in the bloodmobile to facilitate community support for our students. We have held information and fun activities such as the "Don't text and drive" simulator car to develop and instill safe practices in our students. I feel that our school is certainly commited to the well being and success of each of our students.

Emails and phone messages are definitely ignored by many students. Sometimes I feel that we are wasting time, especially when we ask them to call us back or email us. What I have had to finally admit to myself is that texting is the current mode of communication. My students have started to show me texts from one of their classmates who is running late or unable to attend class. They address it to me but send it to their friend to show me. At least it is better than no reply at all!

I identify with Mr. Dyk's observation about the "neglected 80%". To those that want perfect attendance, there are awards and to those with great attendance challenges, there are special programs. It is very difficult to understand what those 80% need to stay motivated and not feel neglected. The award for improving grades is a great idea.

I think this is a great idea. But there does need to be rules in place.

We have a program called six weeks to success. Each student must take this six week course, during this coure each student recieves traing in good study habbits, test taking, how to handle stress, and who to contact when they need help.

We have our instuctors,program directors,and DOE contact students via Campus Vue,phone, and facebook to communicate our willingness to help them succeed. This has made a big impact ;especially on people who skip a semester and do not come back.

One practice that UTI has developed is Free Lunch Fridays. Every friday we offer free lunch to students. Many of our students are from out of state, don't have jobs or much income and the hope is to be able to provide sustenance to those who may not get much to eat over the weekend. This is our commitment to caring about our students' well-being.

Rewards like these are motivating for students and allow them to focus on the ultimate goal. Our school places photos of the students on a board in the hallway so that everyone can see who is graduating and/or in a specific course (massage therapy). It's incredible how often I see the student look at their own picture wearing a smile.

One of the most common practices at my school that I believe demonstrated commitment is the offering of additional workshops on weekends. Some of the programs are offered for free and some cost money, regardless by offering extra classes it gives students additional opportunities to learn. I believe it shows that the school, the faculty who facilitate weekend courses and students are committed to the educational process and betterment of the students.
Daniel

We have a tutoring lab where students can study, get clarification on assignments, and even retake exams they did poorly on. Students with accommodations are able to have tests read to them for additional support. UTI is incredibly committed to seeing our students succeed.

Sign In to comment