Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do students connect with the student success center, Carrie? What are the responsibilities of the people who work in the center?

Scott, are the classroom observations scheduled in advance or unannounced? Who does them and what's the follow up with the instructor?

Victoria, sounds like a comprehensive approach. What results are you getting? Do your students respond positively to these initiatives?

Kirk, "lengthy" scares me. What response rate do you get for this survey? What's the motivation for a student to complete a lengthy survey, knowing that they won't benefit from it?

The library has become the success center and the academic coaches (tutors) are located there to assist students by appointment or drop in basis. We offer coaching in all subject areas as well as in learning styles and strategies. Students are made aware of us in several ways; 1) stumbling upon us, 2) by referral from their instructors (or friends) or 3) by coercion in that they are identified by the Center Manager as at risk because they are earning below a 70% in one or more of their courses and are required to participate in mandatory tutoring until their score reaches 70% or better.

We are a very small staff of 3 and I depend on my coaches to tutor and to follow-up with students for missed appointments. Often, I will ask the coaches to reach out to students or do group workshops as well.

The initial observation is unannounced. The observations are done by the Director of Education, Program chair, Campus Director and or the Education Supervisors. The follow up is done with the instructor within 24 hours of the observation. If an additional observation is warranted then a second observation is then scheduled with the instructor and is conducted.

Thanks, Scott. This is a great practice. How have the faculty responded to the practice? Have there been some common themes that could be the basis for in-service training?

Has it become part of your culture and something that instructors simply expect? I would think there would be some real resistance to the initial implementation.

Sounds like a valuable service, Carrie. Hope it is successful.

Our school distributes surveys midway through our courses to determine how to complete the rest of the course. This feedback goes directly to the instructor to modify what happens in the classroom. Once a course ends, we have the students evaluate the course and instructor for term / annual review. We also check in with students throughout their program, every 13 weeks, the midway mark and at program end for continual feedback on curriculum, faculty, facility, etc.

Kim, have you compared the response rate for the midterm survey versus the one at the end of the course. It would seem the students have a greater vested interest in the former than the latter.

What sort of mid-course adjustments have you observed as a result of the student feedback?

There are a number of things that our institution does to see if the student expectations are met.
1. Student survey - every time the suvey results are out our President makes sure to study them very carefully and makes comments on them so that everyone know where we lack and and more can be doen.
2. At regular meetings the student retention is discussed but only thing is that I dont find th passion by many a faculty and staff towards understanding the importance of retention. Much can be done.
3. student retention is also related to faculty satisfaction - when there is lack of trust between the faculty and the administration then faculty losses passion to deliver.
Much can be done in regards to this.
4. retention can be better when all department act as one school rather than each department Director acting as if he owns the school.

We have staff members dedicated to the needs and concerns of our students. Our work schedule allows for us to be readily available to all of our students. We offer free instructor and peer tutoring. We have outside resources available to meet the needs of human services outside of school. Students are asked to evaluate the program at the end of each term. Each cohort has two student representatives. We hold a quarterly student rep meeting to discuss issue and problem solve.

The students complete a Student Satisfaction survey that encompasses not only the classes they are taking, but the instructor, the books, the school, and other areas. The problem is that it is now on the Student Portal on their website and not all of the students take the survey so if one or two students out of the whole class take the survey and they are not happy with the instructor, it can give the instructor a negative result. We used to hand out hard copies and then unfortunately, someone had to compile all the data and then print out the results. It is easier to get the results, but it is not always objective or complete.

Lise, do low response rates call into question the value of the exercise? Conventional wisdom suggests that only the very happy and very unhappy will respond if participation is optional.

Jennifer, what type issues are discussed at the quarterly meeting with the student reps? How are outcomes communicated to the staff, faculty and other students? Any major changes made as a result of the process?

You make many good points,MOHAMMED ARIF, and indicate that much can be done. How will that happen? What role can you play in making improvements?

Each cohort or class has two representatives. We currently have eight active cohorts. Each class will bring send to me in Student Services 3 class consensus concerns. They can range from facility matters, to curriculum material, to tutoring resources, to national exam and career focus inquiries. As the Student Representatives advance through the program, we find that the upperclassmen are able to share their wisdom and experience with the freshman students. We meet for an hour and eat pizza and sweets. It is a relaxed and open environment. Student Services hosts the meeting and our Campus Director attends each meeting to address certain matters. The topics are given to me one week before the meeting and our Directors of the Campus, Student Services, Education, and Careers Services provide input for me to discuss at our meeting. We have made changes in many areas. We changed the course delivery of the program, we've updated course material, we've added supplies and resources and even picnic benches.

At New Student Orientation, each department head introduces themselves, and what their department can do for the student. Our Director of Education, speaks to them about what is expected of them in their academics. He discusses the importance of attendance and how it affects their academics. But most importantly, communicating with their instructor. I'm a Student Services Coordinator, my responsibilty is to present the New Student Orientation, and speak to them about the expectation. But most importantly, that we understand they have personal lives, that can detour them from their academic goals. I assure them that I'm here to assist them. They know from the very begining, I'm their "to go person", if they can not get the support from insructors, or administration (which rarely is a problem), they come to me. Are they satisfied? Yes. I pop in their classrooms, to see if they are present. In the hallways, I say hello to them and ask how they are doing. I speak to the instructors, to assure they have may support. Yes, we have some retention problems. It should start from Admissions,and Finacial Aid. But that sometimes does not happen. We are working on everyone being on the same page "Mission." Assure that every student has the opportunity to succeed in their career goals.

Thank you, Jennifer. Sounds like a very productive process. Do you see many of the same concers coming up frequently?

Yes there is definitely a pattern in the topis for our student rep meeting, which is why our upperclassmen can speak to the freshmen concerns frequently. Many facility items go unresolved due to budget shortfalls. We address the issue as a fresh concern each time. I believe the students appreciate and respect being heard and are normally understanding and accepting of out spending limits.

Sign In to comment