Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students fill out an evaluation on the instructors performance along with training aids, curriculum, facilities and they also have have the opportunity to list any comments they have every three weeks at the end of each course. The instructors and their managers along with individuals at the home office get copies of these evaluations and the students are interviewed about any concerns they have if they sign their name to the evaluation. The school attempts to address the concerns particuarlly if there appears to be a trend.

As a part of the end of course survey, if the student makes a comment and provides his name, a staff member is assigned to that student for follow-up. A one-on-one interview takes place to address issues. That being said, meeting expectations starts with identifying them. The system we use is only a start. The entire campus must be involved in student(customer)satisfaction.

Students are required, expected to fill out course evaluations for each course they attend. They are afforded the opportunity to evaluate the course curriculum, materials, training aid and the instructor. Altough some students use this to vent inappropriate topics. The vast majority do provide valuable feedback and comments that are utilized by the institution for course (and instuctor improvement).

Mike

At UTI we use surveys at the end of each course where the students can evaluate the course as well as the instructor. These surveys are compiled together and the comments are given to instructor for his/her self-improvement.

How often does a student provide contact information on the survey form? Do you ever get organized groups of people submitting the same response?

How do you handle those inappropriate topics when they arise?

They conduct periodic surveys, and then respond to each individual issue.

Many times we have students at my school that are signed up with false expectations,because the sales rep.lied to them.This makes the instructors job more difficult.These students because of their attitudes tend to do bad in class and have
low grades.The students that know what they can
expect from the school because of friends etc.
do better and they are more satisfied when they
complete a course.The instructors job is easier
with this type of student.

When inappropriate topics arrise,I first try to
isolate the source if possible. When the source
is found, I then remove it from class and have a
talk with him/her about problem and give them a
warning.If this doesnt work the problem gets
sent to director of education for further discipline.

We have end couse serveys and midcouse serveys,
they both have areas for the students to fill
out if they want to talk to someone. Many times
the srudent will check the yes box and not sign their names.These students are usually the ones
with the most problems.If we have alot of students
with the same concerns,and they put their names
on the paper they are usually called to the office to find the problem. The instructor is
then called down later.

You make a very serious allegation about sales reps at your school. If true, their behavior could have a very negative impact on the health of the institution. Such a charge demands action. What do you plan to do?

Well student services represenative and several instructors are deeply involved in the student concil. While no authority is granted to the concil the support of staff and instructors behind their ideas and recomendations do assist in accomplishing the goals.

The other instructors and I are going to discuss
the problem with the sales manager,and if we have to we will go up to our corp. office. The way they are running the school is going to give
us a bad reputation in the field and eventually
close us down.This has been a common practice for
a long time.

At my school,the serveys are given out and collected by a person from the front office, and
then handed to the education supervisor.The education supervisor looks them over,records the results and then we sign off on them.

I agree that you can get valuable input from the
surveys for self and course inprovement.As far as the school,they can get good ideas about needed equipment,and other courses they should teach. However, I feel alot of institutions care more about profit than education and give out
the surveys because they feel obligated .

My students are near the end of the training here and I expect them to be professional in their work and to ask questions when there is a problem. Most do ask questions, when there is a problem or they do not underststand something. I also expect them to be on time and ready to continue their education.

How do you handle those students who don't meet your expectations? How often does this happen? Do you have a mechanism to alert instructors from earlier academic periods if there is a recurring area where students are ill prepared?

This institue has allowed its instructors the latitude to teach real world experience in association with the ciricculm. We also offer many assistance programs to help those in need. We tell them what we will do then we back that up with action. Action always speaks louder than words,so when they come to class they actually get more than they bargained for.

Our institution give out student surveys to see how they feel about the school and how they feel about the professors.

How do you use the results, Elisa? What improvements in teaching performance or curriculum can you link to this practice?

Sign In to comment