Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our school does the same thing and I think that this helps the student stay plugged into school. The only difference is that ours is done with the Program Director of each Department. Sometimes this helps because if the are doing poorly in a general education class we can help them secure a tutor and let them know that once the are in their career all the classes are important to helping them succeed.

Instructors take a personal approach and look at students not as a number or merely as a student; we take a wholistic approach. So when students have been absent with no advanced notice, we call or email. We also include small rewards/incentives; things like cookouts, etc.

First all student are interviewed by their prospective Department heads. This ensures that the student are properly informed about the program that they are about to enter. Second the student is ask to spend some time sitting in o some class so they know what to expect when they get to their first course. And finely each student must participate in a student success class.

We have student satisfaction surveys the students take every three weeks at the end of their course.

We closly monitor attendance as well as performance on quizes and assignments.
Students that do not perform well are spoken to in private and advised of the support centers that are offered.
When attendance becomes an issue, students are advised of the muliple times that they may make up the time.

My institution use to have student's evaluate the instructors and the material covered in each class each quarter but that has not been done for a while. I go around the classroom and ask each student at the end of class to name one thing they have learned today. Then I ask are they satisified with the way class is running if not please give me a call or talk to me. I tell the students that they are paying for the class and I want them to get the most out of class. The students have my home telephone number and my cell phone number so they can reach me at any time during the day or night.

One of the methods that the school I work for uses to help meet students expectations is to clearly establish what the school offers and what the school provides to students while they are attending. This is done by giving each potential student a tour of the classroom while other students are participating in a lab, specifically culinary arts and/or patisserie and baking. By doing this activity before a student enrolls in and starts school we are minimizing the potential for a discontent student from the beginning.
Another tool that our school uses is end of course student surveys. These surveys are administered during the last week of a class prior to the assignment of a grade from an instructor. This enables both faculty and administrators to look for common complaints or grievances that may need to be addressed.
Daniel

We do the “Big” orientation (the one where each department of the school goes and expend at least 30 minutes with the class) on the second week of classes. The first day, the students are in stress and receiving such amount of information that next day they don’t even remember who said hello to them or which administrative staff was introduce to them. One the second week, the students are in a more relax attitude and they are more receptive to new information. In addition, since they have been in school for a least a week, they have had the opportunity to explore the institution and to generate inquiries about the departments the school have.
To check if the expectations are being satisfied, we do students surveys every 6 weeks. We are constantly working on what the students see as a challenge for them. We also keep a suggestion box in the lobby, which we check frequently an address the new challenges (if any) as they arise.

We are continuously adding check points to help students.
1. Attendance checks, if students are absent we need to email and or call every day.
2. Send progress reports to supervisors every Thursdays.
3. I do nonstop walk through to the point that students are tired of hearing from me.
4. Students have the option to do end of class evaluations.
5. Faculty updates verbal and written.

Yes, out school uses a program called CampusVue that we all input our contacts with the student to keep each other informed on that student

we use surveys as well

our institution does surveys per class of the student population. If there are any issues they are addressed quickly.

We have an open door policy that allow students to to communicate problems, issues, or information to instructors, chairperson, or the President of our college. If a student feels they are not satisfied with our program, we all want why, so we have the opportunity to give our students the education they expect.

Our institution works to meet student expectations by annually surveying our students on a regular basis. We have students fill out surveys on how they liked the course, the instructors, student services, and administration. Also, as part of my job, I monitor attendence, grades, and overall behavior to help ensure retention.

1. First, we hold student roundtables every month, asking for their feedback.
2. We have expanded the orientation sessions so that students will understand the school's expectations of them, and then be able to assess if they can meet those expectations.
3. Students are surveyed during each class to give feedback about the course, and instructors.
4. Student Services Dept. is working hard to help students with barriers they may have that would keep them out of school.

Provide the student with one on one discussion time allowing the student to give feed back, both negative and positive so we are able to make changes as needed.

Our student surveys are also done at the end of each term and we too get the results after the student has moved on. When a student is in danger of with drawing for what ever reason as an instructor we are informed after the fact and it is too late to talk to them on an individual basis to see what if anything we can do to help them continue in education.

We try to provide them with as many resources and information available. The computers are set up with the programs they can use to achive all there work.

It seems that the students are always taking surveys, and listening to the students suggestions. I know we have implimented some changes in teaching based on these surveys. A great tool for sure!

Our institution makes it the instructors and education staffs responsibility no matter what. we are scored by the student at the end of every rotaion.

Sign In to comment