Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Usually, what I do is to let my students know, that is understandable to be afraid, when we face a new challenge, encourage them to continue until the end of the program, and that always I'll be there to listen, if they have any problem interfering with their educational performance.

Letting student's know that it's natural to have fears can be very comforting, Miriam. I'm sure they appreciate knowing that you will be there for them.

We have been revising our admission presentation to better communicate realistic outcome expectations from our training to inquirers. Some programs are easier to place graduates into employment at completion. When students enroll, it is our hope that they will have clearer goals and better see how we are delivering on those goals in our training.

You are on the right path, Karl. It is critical that students have realistic outcome expectations and clear goals. Otherwise, you will have frustrated students and instructors as they try to compromise on the acceptable outcomes.

Our school also uses the student survey format to evaluate student satisfaction and expectations of us as instructors, staff, and school environment. The results of these surveys are shared with instructors, and students are met with to discuss individual comments.
We also meet with our students one-on-one at the end of each quarter to discuss attendance and academic achievement. Meeting with our DOE allows students to have input in their success.
I, as an instructor, monitor attendance daily and academic acheivement and if I notice a trend starting, I will meet personally with the student to discuss and hopefully get at problem before it mushrooms. But you have to build a trusting relationship with students - assuring them that their success is your primary concern.

You are right about the importance of building a trusting relationship, Victoria. Students usually are reluctant to ‘speak' freely on surveys if they know that the instructor will see the comments and be able to identify them. For many, the fear of grade retaliation is just too great. Meeting with the DOE seems like an effective way to demonstrate the school's commitment to quality and honor the confidential nature of some communications.

I agree that student at times will speak freely when they remain anonymous, and I also feel that meeting with the DOE is very benficial to the student in building open communication between DOE, Instructor and student, which in turn benefits the retention rate.

I think these forms are great they really help with getting other ideas to keep the students interested and in school. Retention is very important to all of us. So by having theis forum available it helps all of us

It is important that students learn to communicate with people in authority; industry clearly is looking for those skills. If students will only communicate freely when they remain anonymous, it suggests a climate of fear and can result in further misunderstandings.

Our Faculty meets with Admission reps on a regular basis to make sure they Admissions rep understand what we are teaching and what jobs can be expected. We have surveys that we do with students on a regular basis and there is a mentoring program for all new starts for the first few months they are in class.

This sounds like a great way to do things. We probably need our instructors and admissions to meet together more. I think that would help iron out some of the hand off between the two as well as keep everyone on the same page with information.

Thanks for the idea.

1. Education and admissions are linked in creating expectations. When we train a new admissions rep -- they go through education training as well. New instructors go through admissions training. In this way we are always communicating the same set of expectations.

2. We never use the word "can't" If a student has expectations that may be outside of the realm of what we can deliver or what their education may offer, we sit down with them and discuss a more practical path for them to reach their expectations. We either help them reevaluate their expectations or we help them find a way to reach them. But we NEVER say that we can't deliver.

3. We follow up through a variety of early student surveys (usually week 1 and 3) and then regular quarterly surveys.

We have quarterly course evaluations. In addition, we have an annual survey requesting feedback on all the departments. We review the information an e-mail to our students on how we plan to resolve the issues. Once issues are resolved, we communicate them directly to the students.

The course material mentioned that the exit surveys aren't necessarily the best tool to use since a student doesn't want to rehash their reason. We haven't had much luck with receiving any response when we send out surveys to dropped students. We often have students that just disappear from the population. Also, we have students completing a quarter; however, never return. How could we address this issue without a survey?

Tough question, Diane. The effectiveness of surveys depends on a variety of factors; things like student confidence that something will happen, time when it's presented, the objective of the survey, etc. You may find that students are more responsive if the survey is given during the semester as a homework assignment, rather than something that is done hurriedly at the end of the course.

Getting students involved in other ways may be another alternative – feedback luncheons with randomly selected students each month, student committees formed to address specific quality of life issues are two thoughts. Does your class structure allow for using journal entries about specific student life issues as a tool? Proactive communication is always preferable to crisis intervention.

On a quarterly basis, we distribute a student questionnaire that helps us to identify both positive and negative comments of the students regarding all staff, instructors and facilities. Once they are reviewed, an improvement plan is implemented and completed. Also, through classroom observations and evaluations, we are able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the instructor and build upon, or correct, these areas.

Who is responsible for reviewing the comments and how does that person communicate the results? Do the results become part of the annual review process? Who else gets the results?

Do the students believe that this is a useful tool and give candid feedback? Do you see different rates of participation by program or length of time that a student has been attending classes?

Our school uses student surveys. We also assign a mentor to each student. The mentor "touches base" with each student at least once per week for the entire first mod (6 weeks). It is the mentors responsiblity to ask how the student is doing and answer any questions or concerns that the student my have. If a concern arises, the mentor is supposed to walk the student to the correct person to handle the situation. The mentor stays connected to that student throughout the entire program.

This sounds like a very strong mentor program, Kathryn. How long have you been doing it? What results have you seen? How are mentors selected? Is it a one-to-one relationship? If mentors stayed connected throughout the entire program, do they get new students as well?

Presumably, each mentor also had a mentor. Does create a sense of 'family' as that group expands? Have you considered formalizing that phenomenon into an actual named group that graduates could relate to when they return?

We have only had the program in place for 3 months now. It hasn't been all smooth sailing but it is getting better as we go along. I think the students appreciate having someone to go to and that can point them in the right direction if they do need something.

All directors and managers are mentors which is good and bad. Good because we have a lot of answers and bad because we don't always have a lot of time. I want to morph this into a student to student mentoring program.

Initially, we meet with our students as a group. Eventually, it works out that we meet and talk with them more on a one-on-one basis. As we go along we get new students. It tends to become overwhelming. That is why I see the need to turn it into a student helping student thing. I could really use some ideas on how to accomplish this. I have some ideas but would enjoy and appreaciate some input.

Finding time to meet with all those students in a meaningful way must be a challenge that will only get bigger.

I am familiar with a school that has created student groups to accomplish some of the transition related things you have identified. When a new student enrolls they are assigned to one of these groups and is a member until they graduate. The school has advisors to the group and also has activities that are group based - best quarterly attendance, best GPA, community service projects, etc. The students select their own leaders, who in turn work closely with the advisor. The system provides for an open line of communication and creates spirit among the members.

Would something like that work for you?

Sign In to comment