Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions representatives are trained to give students an accurate view of expectations. They take students on a tour and chefs are involved in the process as well andswering any questions a potential student might have when visiting a class room. We all from admissions, faculty and chairpersons do their best to give accurate classroom expectations and what is involved and what the student needs to know of the rules as well as what they will learn and their responsibility to accomplish their goals and it will take practice and skills to earn their diploma and have the best possible experience while accheiving them.

Admissions is trained as well as faculty and chair people to give a potential student accurate information as well as what is expected from the student to accomplish their goals of earning their diploma and learning new skills to enable them to be prepared in the field of choice. We have many in-services and training sessions and make daily calls and emails to our students who are absent to keep students informed and concience of what is happening and abreast of what is needed to accomplish goals with the best skills.

My institution has a structured evaluation of instructors and approved powerpoint presetations.

Loren,
Recently our student services department was dissolved. Our admissions department is like a revolving door. New people constantly being let go or quitting and a steady flow of new faces. It makes for a very difficult environment for instructors as we are now expected to stay on top of our own retention efforts such as daily contact by phone and email. This in addition to our daily teaching duties. I'm sure our school is not unique in this situation but it sure doesn't make it any easier.

I honestly don't know how they assure student expectations are being met. I know what expectations the school has for the program, but not what expectations the students have for the program or school in general.

Our school’s admissions representatives provide an extremely accurate depiction of our school when communicating with prospective students. In addition, my colleagues and I deliver a collective curriculum which reflects and often exceeds the needs and expectations of the students.

This is a really good idea. I always have the same concern that during the first orientation, the students are taking in too much information to remember. So, the idea of going back after they've had time to settle in sounds great. Do you do this during class time or outside of actual class time? We are a lockstep program, so my concern would be taking up valuable class time.

We do surveys as well, during the Midterm point and right before Finals. I like the idea of a suggestion box-students area able to (anonymously) voice concerns and ideas at any time throughout the year.

As Director of our medical progams, we meet with students during their campus tours and at their orientation we are the ones to go through the handbook for the program they are entering and to make sure they understand and acknowledge the program and if they have questions we are someone to help them every step of the way. We all work as a team and it really helps because it gives the students assurance that we are here to make sure they succeed and that we are here if they encounter any road blocks along the way.

After the students are in school for 1 week, our Campus Director does a "check in" to see how everyone is doing and make sure everyone is satisfied. After that, we do quarterly surveys to see if we need improving in any areas.

Kristie, what´s involved in the first week check in¿ How interactive is the exchange¿

We hold 1st term meetings several weeks into the term (and after midterm exams) to see how things are going for each cohort of students. This is a time to get feedback from them, respond to their concerns or questions, and also to review many of the available resources...things that we discussed at Orientation, but that many have forgotten about as they started classes.

After the first term, we do a mid-program check in survey and then an end of program survey with all students.

Stacey, who participates in the first term meetings? Does it include representatives from Administration, Student Services and Admissions? Do they lead to actual changes?

The meeting is coordinated by the Student Services department. However, one week prior to the meeting, we send a blank agenda sheet around to the class, so that students are able to add any items of concerns or questions that they would like addressed at the meeting. By getting those lists in advance, we are able to include any additional departments that are able to specifically address those concerns and questions. We have found this process to be very effective. It also allows the students to see that we are actively interested and seek out their feedback throughout the program.

Sign In to comment