Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Powerful Job Search Letters | Origin: CS112

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Advising Students on Developing Modern Job Search Documents --> Powerful Job Search Letters

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This session helped me appreciate the different Cover Letter styles based on company culture, position seeking, etc.

I agree Ruth, the Cover Letter is often overlooked and this module gives some great tips on making sure it comes in with a bang. Getting students to write NEW cover letters specific to the job they are applying is very important. 

I loved the information that was given to show me how to help students understand the need for Cover Letters, and how to properly write one.

You are submitting a bundled package that represents you as a standout candidate. All of your documnets should speak to your value and fit. I did not see the important of all pieces until this course, even when it was requested by the emloyer. Great stuff!

Great information about the powerful job search letters 

Job letters should show the same amount of seriousness as a resume because they are still a self-reflection and are impressionable to the employer.

I learned that there are different types of cover letters and what circumstances they should be used for.  In addition, the cover letter should be no longer then one page long and should be tailored to the position that is being applied for. 

I liked the idea of LinkedIn endorsements. I've not considered teaching students that particular feature but I will now. I also liked the tips on obtaining letters of recommendation. 

I agree different Cover Letter styles based on company culture and position you are seeking can be effective. 

There was a ton of great information on cover letters that was very useful. I feel there was a bit of conflicting info on reference lists vs. in another module.

I’m wondering if it really is still important to bring paper marketing materials to an interview. If a job seeker has an online profile and portfolio, and has digitally submitted all application materials, why bring paper copies? It feels as though we are moving away from paper materials enough now that this step would redundant.

Comment on Laura Miller's post

Hi Laura,

While the shift towards digitalization has indeed transformed many aspects of the job search process, there are still valid reasons to consider bringing paper marketing materials to an interview. Below are a few:

Preparedness: Bringing paper copies of relevant marketing materials demonstrates preparedness and professionalism. It can convey that a candidate has anticipated the potential need for physical copies and is ready to provide them if needed. Even if the interviewers have already reviewed digital materials, having tangible copies on hand can be useful for reference during the interview. Moreover, one should prepare for the unexpected. There are plenty of times in the work environment that someone may unexpectedly join an interview that perhaps hasn't had an opportunity to review a candidate's digital documents. What can be seen as "redundant" in one view point can be seen as prudent and prepared in another. Why not teach students to aim for the latter? The rationale is more strategic.

Personalized touch: Presenting physical marketing materials allows candidates to add a personalized touch to their application. While online profiles and portfolios are essential, they lack the tangible aspect that physical documents can provide. Well-designed paper resumes, business cards, and work samples can create a lasting impression and set a candidate apart from other candidates. They provide a physical representation of one's brand and can help reinforce one's qualifications and/or impression of professionalism. 

Technical issues: Despite advancements in technology, technical glitches can still occur. Imagine a scenario where the interviewer's device or internet connection fails, making it difficult to access a candidate's online portfolio or documents. In such cases, having paper copies readily available can ensure a seamless continuation of the interview process. It demonstrates adaptability and prevents potential disruptions. Once again, it shows preparedness as paper documents can be a contingency plan for potential technical issues.

Multiple interviewers: In some cases, a candidate may face a panel interview or have multiple interviewers who may not have access to the same online platforms simultaneously. Providing each interviewer with a copy of one's materials ensures that everyone can review them during or after the interview. It facilitates discussion and helps them recall a candidate's qualifications when making hiring decisions.

Networking opportunities: Paper marketing materials, such as business cards, can serve as effective networking tools. They allow a candidate to exchange contact information with interviewers, colleagues, or industry professionals they may encounter during the hiring process. Even if the physical document is eventually discarded, the act of exchanging business cards can leave a positive impression and make it easier for others to remember a candidate. It may be a differentiator from other candidates that did not do the same and self-marketing is about differentiation - these fine details optimize one's ability to stand out.

Despite the fact that there are many strong reasons to teach students the strategies behind bringing paper copies of marketing materials, it's important to note that the necessity of bringing paper materials may vary depending on the industry, company culture, and individual preferences. However, advising students to consider having physical marketing materials on hand can be a smart strategy, ensuring they are well-prepared for any situation and have an opportunity to make a memorable impression.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities