Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social/Legal Barriers | Origin: CS109

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Empowering Students with an Arrest or Conviction --> Social/Legal Barriers

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned that through proper guidance , students carrying a arrest or conviction can secure successful employment. As a mentor, 

I first need to know the different kinds of arrests or convictions so I have an understanding of what they have been through and I can help advise them in the proper way.

It is my role to help these students build confidence and understand the employment process. Convicted students will most likely have a negative mindset regarding the employment process. I want to educate them on their rights and the best way to answer these types of interview questions to give them the best chances of landing a job. 

One thing I will certainly apply to my work with and for students who have a criminal background is that an active approach to one's background is really a positive first step and doable. Connected to one's digital presence, there are many proactive things jobseekers (including those who have a criminal background) can do including requesting and reviewing aspects of their background ranging from credit to criminal record. While there are some potential fees involved, I think that if more and more students know about their options, they may be more successful in navigating their job search.

I was not aware of Equal Emplo9yment Opportunity mandates regarding job discrimination against applicants with convictions.

Background checks are important for students as well as adults.  I like the scenario with the male student who applied for a job and received notification of criminal activity 6 years earlier...and it was mistaken identity.  Removing negative and false information is critical.

I wonder about the effectiveness of the laws in protecting people looking for employment. The employment rate for black/brown people is comical in some areas of this country.

Understanding all the regulations protecting job seekers is paramont and to take charge of your presence with all platforms including reviewing what someone else may view about you. 

One must know the importance of laws and how they are determined for one to get employment.

There are some protections but it is always best to answer honestly. 

I've learned that for individuals to protect their background, they will need to understand their background. Also learned that it is important to remain positive throughout the process of pre-employment screening, this can help a person go a long way.

Honest is very important when applying for a job and there are also laws that protects ex convicts. Having a criminal record is not a dead end, with proper guidance an ex convict can secure a good career.

With so many laws in place around backgrounds it is a tall task for students when applying for employment.

It is important to coach students to apply to a vast number and wide variety of position types and companies across many industries.

Casting a wider net can increase the possibility of landing on an employer willing to look past a conviction or arrest and is wiling to connect with them as a person and may acknowledge the value they bring to the position and company out weighs the associated risks brought about by their past indiscretions. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities