Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internal Audits of General Business Areas | Origin: CM101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Internal Audits: Building a Compliant Campus --> Internal Audits of General Business Areas

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

During this course I learned about the different regulations as it pertains to adjunct instructors. This information was relevent to me, because I am currently an adjunct instructor. I will apply this information, to ensure that my education and skill sets meet the requirments neccessary for my professional growth. 

During this course I learned about audit internveiw questions.  I look forward to reviewing these questions with each department to flush out any areas of improvement. 

Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act

My takeaway in these sections on the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.  It provides specific guidelines for privacy.  This is important for me because privacy continues to be an issue today.  

1st item of interest to me was the regulation on the DO NOT CALL directory and the 9pm to 8am prohibiton on telemarketers calls.

2nd- FSLA, as a  supervisor in the administrative staff's human resources area the requirements of licenses was important.

3rd- Student records security is very important and and that email should be maintained as secure as the student data in our system.

The thing that I took away was that Sarbanes-Oxley was used in schools as a form of regulation. I thought that was pretty interesting. 

It is not required to save all files indefinitely. 

Comment on Sharan Ravishankar's post: That was something new for me too

Areas of interest in this section:

• The GLB act. This is the first time that I have heard of this act and used as a supplemental to FERPA.
  • The proper retention of records.
  • Vendors can be held accountable to SOX also.
  • Adherence to copy write laws and software licenses are integral and must be monitored consistently.
  • Publishers now publish on demand texts (this is very helpful to know for SMEs).

I learn about questions to use when audit. 

I have learnt about the different timeframes with which a school can retain documents. I did not know that retaining old files is not required but if you do, they are subject to review.

Data Security is vital!

The information about the faculties and adjunct instructors very helpful moving forward.

I learned about the ifap.ed.gov website and how to keep up to date on disclosure requirements. 

An area that is often overlooked until just before an audit is faculty and staff professional development and continuing education. Schools need to ensure not only full-time faculty complete professional development, but adjunct faculty. I have seen this cited as a weakness at many institutions. 

In this area I have learned many different things- 1- making sure that marketing and advertising are done properly, 2- SOX learned more about how it will be best to do the internal audit on the financial aspect, 3- making sure Admissions on my radar more. 

I learned how easy it is to violate Sarbanes-Oxley without realizing it.

Sign In to comment