Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Institution Activities | Origin: CM102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Raising the Bar - Compliant Communications with Students --> Institution Activities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It wea good to know how Service Members are taken care of in the Federal military and veterans edicaitonsl benefit programs.  A lot of veterans get out of the service and still have a need to go to school to apply for a job out of the Military. It is so good to know that there is help for our Veterans men and women. This information is good for our family members and friends that are in the military. 

Doris Owens 

There are many state and federal regulations for communication compliance.  Students and potential students have the right to be informed of many aspects of an institution through a variety of communication venues.

I did know quite a bit of this information. I felt it was a good refresher course, however, I grew up on an Army base and it is wonderful that there are benifits in place for those that ensure our safety. 

I was not aware that there were regulations, and laws prohibiting schools from speaking poorly or recruiting students that are already enrolled in schools. I thought it was just proffessional courtacy. However, I do agree with the implication of reinforcing healthy competition between schools. When schools speak of other schools, the intent behind the message can not always be clear, so it could be information to help the student, or advertise for their school. Instead of trying to figure it out, these rules make things consistant and safer.

It's a lot of information to grasp in a short time but these are all very important information for educationsal institutions to comply with government laws and regulations especially if institutions are receiving FSA and government grants or loans.

Reply to Sheila Heinert's post:I agree with you on this Sheila and just to add my thoughts to yours, channel of communications must be selected very carefully by the institutions making sure information is clear and concised and not vague or unclear to avoid any possible penalties.

Start with openess so you don't give the appearance of impropriety down the road.

Interesting learning about the licensing requirements depending on the type of institution ad also how tuition recovery works similar to an insurance policy.  I did not realize that student testimonials being an area of abuse, but that does make sense.  I had no idea of the amount of fines when required disclosures are not in compliance. Good to see the requirements for what should be included in the school's catelog/website.  

Transparency regulations when it comes to advertising protects the prospective student consumer. The institution lays out a realistic expectation and the student becomes a more empowered buyer. 

This is very interesting so far. I like the embrace of social media and the calls for positive advertising where you highlight your school's benefits without attacking any others. 

This was a good general review. I am happy there are benefits that are veterans. I hope they are aware of them.

I found State Regulations very interesting. I wish we would be able to print for reference, but that particular section is unavailable for printing.

I enjoyed the breakdown of all catalog/handbook requirements. Good info - just a lot.

There was an good amount of information that was discussed. I found the information on state regulations the most helpful and informative.

The topics covered in this section were very informative. I found the section about military benefits especially helpful in being able to understand more about the history & compliance aspect. I also enjoyed learning about the compliance policies for my specific state, Michigan.

I like how we have military benefits for service members. The state regulation section was very helpful and informative. 

I like how we have military benefits for service members. The state regulation section was very helpful and informative. 

I learned the importance of knowing your specific state regulations and how those are similar/different to other states.  It is also important to be careful with the use of social media because it can be powerful but also dangerous.

Advertisement and marketing should be done with honesty and integrity. Do not make derogatory remarks about other colleges. Always highlight your institutions strengths.  Federal regulations require schools to provide disclosures to students and staff.  Failure to provide disclosure may result in civil fines up to $27,500.

Sign In to comment