Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Very important to know your state regulations and to never compare schools with each other. Stick to the facts. Be honest and ethical 

Very informative especially the differrent regulations for each states. Importance of providing appropriate/factual consumer disclosures.

While all aspects of the module was informative, I was most intrigued by the area that provided information on publications. (i.e. the catalog and student hand book).  It was interesting to see how regulated it is. (i.e. what must be included)  While most are able to publish information on their websites, it's still mandidated to have physical copies as well.    

I had no idea that there were so many regulatory requirememts when it came to higher education and the process of dispensing information not to mention all the other processes (admisstion/financial aid/graduation and employment). I am unsure how to apply all of these within my scope of practice just basically being aware of the items important to me and adhering to those necessary that are  specific to my institution and state.

I learned there are steps in place to make sure things are handled right for our military. This is new to me. 

Knowing all the guidelines for disclosures and compliance by the state, though may be viewed as long and tedious, are so well detailed and  protects the school from any potential negative feedback and outcomes and hefty fines.  

The information on advertising and marketing was very relevant.  I also found the information on the military and veterans to be very important.  The state regulation for each state was very helpful.    

A lot of great information. Regulations are put in place to ensure that accurate information is being shared. Be mindful with how you present information. Make sure to point out the locations that one can find the precise details. 

The Tuition Recovery Fund is an extremely important strategy. Too many students have suffered from closing schools. I think it is very important that students are able to have a discussion on this prior to starting a program. while the policy provides for this disclosure, many schools do not discuss it. maybe this should be included in the "Refund Policy of schools.  

I've learned that schools must be consistent to report changes on their websites, change in dates, prices, and tuitions. They should keep extended communication so that accuracy will still be there and they must also post certain announcements on their website. 

Compliance continues to be the theme. However in this module I think that being able to learn a little bit more in detail about the military aspect was important. To learn about the regulations and compliance regarding military benefits and the tuition assistance was a major take away for me in this module. 

Know your catalog.

I benefited from reading about the type of specific information needed for the school catalog/student handbook and the enrollment agreement.

Comment on Jamilia Johnson's post: Jamilia that surprised me as well!  like you, I know of professional courtesy, but did not realize that there were laws against actually bad-mouthing a competing school.

The states' regulatory bodies exist to make sure that schools regulated by them are following guidelines and treating students fairly.  I have found that some states have stricter regulations than the Department

Being a mom of military personnel, I was very intrigued to find out more information about their benefits. All very helpful.

Sure am glad I don't work in Admissions, as an owner of several business, I had to always do a lot of sales.  My friends said I had a knack for embellishing the truth.  Admissions would not be the job for me.

FERPA is in place to ensure that the school is transparent, and the student is informed of regulatory communication via various modalities including social media. Military benefits were discussed. 

This chapter reveled the many specifics and details to maintain integrity and honesty in marketing materials, whether printed, websites, social media, etc. Descriptions of what is available at the school's campuses should be realistic and descriptive of what is available at the facility, equipment with age, services and classrooms.  If photos are used for schools with multiple campuses they must be clearly identified with each site. If student testimonials are used, they should not be solicited and should be sincere and honest. Marketing materials may be required to be submitted for approval by various regulatory companies. Availability of financial aid is to be included with specifics defined for Military students. Competitive integrity should be respected to not put down another institution in any areas such as cost, quality of program, outcomes of programs, etc. There must be information to enrolled students, employees and instructors on drug and alcohol abuse prevention. A student Right to know due to be shared with students each July 1 to include graduation rates, transfer rates, etc. Loan counseling must be provided for enrolled students. Campus security information should be provided each October 1 to include any updated concerns.  Overall, this chapter had lots of regulatory details.

It seems like it is much easier to cause a violation than we might think! It is important to understand the regulations and policies to ensure we do not jeopardize a student, the institution, or ourselves.

Sign In to comment