Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Mala,

Eye contact is a critical listening skill. Thank you for reminding us that there is not a substitute for interpersonal contact.

Cindy Bryant

I have found texting to be an extremely useful tool currently. I have found that many more students respond to text than phone calls.

Sarah,

Texting has become the preferred method of communication for most students. I have noticed that I text more often now with my peers and business associates. Thanks for staying up with current trends.

Cindy Bryant

i think texting has been great to got prospective students in the building to tour.

I much prefer email in daily interactions with students because it contains a written, documented record of what I need from them, information they need to have, etc. Unfortunately, I also find that many times this is not enough. While email can be helpful, I find that it is best used in combination with face-to-face interactions and as a follow-up to the conversation. That way, the student feels a connection and interest from me as to their well-being and my concern for their issue/question. The email as a follow-up can then document what we discussed and have a paper trail if there are ever any questions.

It is also easier for both of us to get the non-verbal communciation that is so vital to building trust and understanding between people when we meet in person. Sometimes emails can be misconstrued, no matter how careful I may be with my tone.

It's so easy to get lost in the technology cloud, and I've had many students that I've emailed say "I never got it," either because it got filed in their spam folder or because they don't want to admit accountability. Face-to-face complemented with email works best for me, because then email backs up what we discuss together instead of being the only form of communication.

Emails are often the easiest way to communicate. The prospective student can reply at a time that works for them, and it is often the easiest way to reach them.

Amber,

Thank you for joining the forum. Many students enjoy communicating through social media or via email. Another excellent feature of email is the fact that it provides a written record.

Cindy Bryant

I believe the most useful way to communicate is via email. Email is best because if you have a smart phone you can have access to your email at all time.

I find that cell phone, "texting" is the most useful technology communication tool. The average age of our students is 27 years of age. I encourage all my students to contact me anytime. They are given the following options for communicating: office hours, appointments, email, telephone and "texting" to my cell phone. I have found that the primary method that my students pick is "texting". The secondary option is email. They like the "instant" option and won't call me direct, or set up an appointment. Nor, do they drop by in my office hours, unless they are walking by of course.

While the phone is still my preferred option, social media seems to be the best option for students. In addition, there messages from social media outlets often go directly to their phones. I find that I can have better conversations when texting students via social media rather than a phone conversation. Students tend to be more honest when it is through text or social media, allowing me to better assist them.
This is also true for email. Since so many students use their phone for email as well, I am finding an upswing in that communication style.

Emails are the best form of communication because they are timely, easily accessed and efficiently stored.

I like to use email once the initial communication has been established, but only if it is effective. The communication method will vary from person to person, however there is no substitute for a phone call and or face to face meeting. It is very hard to read body language via email and text. With technology, there are many people who would much rather be contacted via text or email.

I think technology has created so many opportunities for both business entities as well as their potential customers, in this case, students. A student can not only get in contact with admissions through the contact information we initially provide, they also have the option to remain in contact and form networking relationships through the company's social media pages. Many times, our students will reach out through social media websites, and it has become a great opportunity for the college to extend their marketing and informative reach, as well as solidify the relationships that we would like to keep with our future alumni. We also have a company phone allowing us to reach potential students through text messages; another form of communication that may be most comfortable to some individuals.

I still prefer face to face communication with the student. I believe it shows a more honest intent, and gives the student a better relationship with the College's employees.

With all the changes in technology, I feel that some of the best methods to communicate are through email and text messages.

Social media because it is becoming the preferred mode of communication. I find I get in contact with many students

Sandra I agree with you on the texting being the most effective way to get in touch with the prospective student. I actually will call a student first, if I don't get in touch with them I will email them then text. Majority response is from texting. I could have just called them, received no responses then I text them & get an immediate response. Several will tell me they are at work & cant talk at the moment but please call back at a certain time, or they will just communicate with me thru the text. It is an effective way to communicate, as well as social media.

I find that no one communication type is most useful over any other. I use telephone, text messaging, email, social media, and the more traditional oral and written communication based on what is appropriate for my communication purpose and if a record of that communication is needed or not. For example, I use emails for sending files with my messages and if the communication is minimal or moderately concise. However, I am more inclined to use the telephone if longer explanations or discussion is needed.

I am seeing the same dynamic with texting... Perspective students would rather text than talk.

We find that mobile technology is especially effective when communicating with our students. Smartphones are pervasive these days, and text messaging and mobile apps tend to be well-utilized and in tune with our student's preferences.

Sign In to comment