Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It really depends on the message. If I need to spur a response, I prefer text or email. More and more students respond quicker if they don't have to deal with you face-to-face or over the phone (voice).
If I want to make sure a student gets the message, I prefer face-to-face and/or email. This tends to make things a bit more secure and legal.

Great question, Jay. I think we need to be responsive to our students as individuals. Having multiple channels for communication is a must. Some do best by email, while others prefer phone and or texting. Having access to Programs such as Gotomeeting or Lync help provide a more ftf and interactive experience with remote parties.

Text messages. People live attached to the cell.

Texting. Prospects will more than likely respond via text versus talking to you on the telephone.

Thanks Jenifer,

You are so right, I am still mostly a phone and face-to-face individual, however, I have to admit the ease in utilizing so many of the current technologies for effective communication. From a compliance perspective, I think the key is that regardless of the form of communication, the "rules" still apply. Thanks for your comments!

Jay Hollowell

I find email most useful. Words are limited in texting and an email provides the opportunity to relay important information that may be lengthy. Also, email seems a little more personal than a random text.

I believe texting is most useful form of communication for many reasons. This generation seems to have their cell phone on them at all times. They will check their phones regularly whether it tells them to or not. Texting is quick and easy and any information that is needed can be delivered or received in a very short time.

I believe that face to face communication is the most important. It gives you an opportunity to meet and greet and go over everything together and show anything that needs to be shown.

I value face to face communication because you can pick up on any "hidden" or cultural signals that might be lost in electronic or telephone communications. For example, a person "rolling their eyes" after they give you a positive answer to something. Instead of a positive response, they have given you a negative one.

There are so many useful technologies. I still think that e-mail is very useful. Many people think it's outdated, but it's a handy way to show that there is proof of stuff. It creates an electronic trail.

Aaron,

And still so widely utilized in the workplace! :-)

Jay Hollowell

With most current students being under age 30, and all being technology savvy either before starting school, or certainly after starting...texting or email seems the most appropriate.

Communication is the key and I still believe in face to face communication. Face to face will always give you the best feel for the dedication and determination of the student. Things can get lost or misinterpreted through emails, texts, and phone calls. Things can be discussed more in depth face to face as questions answered right away instead of having to wait for mail or text.

Texting has been the most effective over the past year or so. Students do not want to answer the phone anymore.

I found that especially in the last couple years that email is the most effective way to communicate especially because we have quick access to it on our cell phones.

Usually over text or email. Talking on the phone can become tedious and annoying after some time. I would rather have documentation to look over after talking to someone.

In my opinion, I think with today's technology email or the use of your smart phone weather that be texting or social media is the best way to communicate. With how busy people are, it's a quick way to communicate something quick or long. It also gives a time stamp and it's a written document that can be used in future conversations or just be documented for someone's file.

Text messaging is a preferred method of the main stream populous these days. You can connect the person rather immediately, they have time to respond and are able to articulate a response in their own time and they can be reach when ever they would like. Through texting they can have the information and respond or not, but at least they have the information.

I find email to be the most effective form of communication because it is the most efficient.

Most of my students do not read their school email so texting is a better way of communicating with these students.

Sign In to comment