Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lisa,

Welcome to the forum! I strongly support documenting as often as possible. Sometimes the problem is that you did not realize the documentation was necessary until after a significant event.

Cindy Bryant

I personallly like email. I can easily have access to my emails from my work computer or access my email from my cell phone. My email is the easiest way for me to answer student inquiries or communicate with other employees. You can also save any emails that you feel are important.

Danielle,

The most important feature of technology in communication is that it has given the ability to stay connected.

Cindy Bryant

I like texting students. It is common for people to not answer phone calls from numbers don’t recognize. A text message is always read and most people will respond once they understand the purpose behind the message.

Bryan,

It is very interesting to me that a person is more apt to read a text than answer a call. The only explanation would be that in today's busy workplace people may not have time to spend on the phone. BUT isn't ironic that we carry phones with s everywhere we go?

Cindy Bryant

I find email to be the most useful way to communicate. It gives you a reference to look back on and also documentation.

Sometimes students hear what they want to hear, so I think being able to communicate via email is very beneficial to the student and the university, assuming the information is accurate. With students talking to students all the time, it is very important to make sure what you are telling them over email is 100% accurate.

I find that textung is the best way to get a message out and for me to recieve it it is instant and I can her the alarm of a new message. and respond in real time.

I like to use email and instant messaging. The use of written communication allows you to simultaneously document the conversation and communicating via instant message gives the chance to speak in real time.

I also like using the webcam function to meet with someone remotely. This way, you can see eachother and determine facial expression and body language which is not available when speaking over the phone. Those are key elements in communication.

Diamonte,

Hi. Do you find that many of your students agree to a webcam meeting.

Cindy Bryant

I don't meet directly with students in my role. I use the video conferencing when meeting with other remote employees. I imagine it could be effective for student communication as well, especially for those online.

I think the most useful communication would be faxing(especially electronic faxing). I think it's great that I can have a fax number directly linked to my email. I am able to send and receive information very quickly and efficiently, especially in emergency situations where I may not have been able to do so before.

My personal favorite is emailing. My favorite thing about emailing is that it leaves a paper trail for confirmation at a later date. Face-to-face is good for meetings or discussing a topic or helping a student complete a task but they have no back bone when it comes to confirmation or documentations. Also, with more and more students having access to email on their phones they are more likely to respond to an email then to a voicemail.

I find the most useful communication to be the actual meeting with students in person. I have found most families to be appreciative in the more personable approach to communicating information. I have found families more open to asking questions that they might not have asked via email,etc.

I feel the Internet and other Social Media outlets are one of the fastest and most efficient ways that our students choose to seek out our information and move towards attending school. My institution receives numberous requests for information in that format, and it also allows for us to reply with accurate, up to date information through electronically supplying catalogs, websites, programs, student testimonials, etc. Potential students are looking for a quick response as well as the most current educational programs, and social media and the internet provides us with the necessary tools to effectively provide info on a real time basis.

Ashley,

Communication via technology is not a passing fad. It has become a way of life for people young and old. In today's society of instant messaging and instant gratification it is about who can reach the person first with the best information.

Cindy Bryant

Evonda,

Too many people take the easy way out and try and do everything via e-mail and in a lot of cases this consumes more time on both sides. Some people find that when they look the other person in the eyes and ask them something they feel that they get far more than they would over e-mail. There is a time a place of quick communication via email, text, etc. such as needing a brief answer. Personal discussion is the foundation of communications and electronic communication can not take it's place.

Cindy Bryant

With all the technology in commnication i would have to say email, social media etc. Most people these days have their email connected right to their cell phones. I think it it the most useful because of this, you get quick answer and responses also most of the time.

Allison,

You made a great point! Quick emails are the perfect way to communicate.

Cindy Bryant

E-mails and text messages have become our new method of communication with the student's, we notify them that there payments are due or any job fairs we are planning...ect

Sign In to comment