Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I prefer face to face because anybody can be anyone over the phone, but if you are face to face, people will see you for who you are. They will be able to see your expressions.

David,

Thank you for your insight. It is true that via phone, computer, text or social media people are able to assume a facade that cannot be maintained in person.

Cindy Bryant

Communication is key and there is no better communication than face to face. At least for the initial interview to see if the prospect is really interested and which are his areas of concern. After the initial interview email is great becuase is less intrusive and more precise.

Susana,

Hi. Communicating meaningfully is becoming more difficult than ever before. While technology has created an ever-increasing number of ways to communicate rapidly over great distances, many people are now so well insulated and protected by these devices we use that we are losing the skills and abilities to communicating in the most influential way—face to face. It is becoming a lost art.
Cindy Bryant

Thanks Cindy it is becoming a lost art, sad to say. It's how we treat people and we come across that makes the difference in any situation.Treating poeple with respect and acting with integrity is key to gain trust to make our propects feel at ease to ask any questions and have all the necessary info to make their decision. Technology is great it shortens distances and keeps us in constantly connected but in a admissions situation is better a face to face for me.

Susana,

I agree, I do understand that many times technology serves the purpose, quick questions, needed information, etc.

Cindy Bryant

Truthful and honest disclosures should be clearly communicated to all new prospective student's.

The most useful type of communication in my opinion is email. With many students possessing a smart phone, I find that I get the best results through emailing a student as they have the device on them at all times. I also feel that email can be the most effective to keep associates truthful, as email can be read and re-read at any time. This means all emails need to be honest and truthful in order to avoid any compliance problems or misunderstandings. If your emails are clear and truthful the student understands all requirements and communications.

Bill,

In a world of instantaneous communication we have to use the best possible means to stay in touch with our students. You raise a good point that all written communication must be as truthful as verbal communication. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Bryant

In my opinion, email is the most useful form of communication. Many students avoid actual contact and prefer emailing. It is also useful because conversations can be documented for future reference.

Rene,

Social media and technology has definitely change the landscape of communication. I would agree with you that students prefer to communicate electronically as opposed to face-to-face BUT at some point the face-to-face becomes so critical. For instance, a job interview. I prefer using a a combination of methods to reach students.

Cindy Bryant

I still find face to face communication and providing written documentation to be the most useful and effective. Often e-mails or texts can be misunderstood and without the face to face interaction you can not tell if a student is really reading or understanding the information presented. The face to face interaction does not guarantee optimum communication, but it helps us to make that assessment a little easier.

Lora,

Everyone has a specific method of communication that works for them. I strongly suggest that what ever works for you is the best mode of communication.

Cindy Bryant

I use skype whenever possible and when agreed upon as it is as close to a face-to face communication as you can get.

Denis,

Skype is a wonderful tool that allows us to stay connected to those far away. Is Skype received well by your students?

Cindy Bryant

we should always be honest and clear when communicating with students.

While methods of communication have changed, I feel it is important to create a balance between technological and in-person communciation. My experience has led me to observe that individuals appreciate having electronic or written documentation about what they are researching or investing in (be it school or another venue), but equally important is matching the presented information with verbal and in-person responses and relationships. This helps to build trust and reliance in the education a student is pursuing.

I would say the most efficient way to communicate is email. Almost everyone has a smart phone nowadays and can access their email at the touch of a button. I also believe that if you are contacting a student (not about disclosure information), Facebook is also a reasonable communication tool.

I agree. They say the eyes are the windows of the soul. When people have eye contact, a connection is made that doesn't happen any other way. We see body language, hear vocal intonations, and get so much more information about the other person. Based on that information, trust can develop in a way that can not happen electronically.

Ilene,

Thank you for bringing up a great point. Communication methods are most effective when they are congruent with each other.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment