Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Eliciting Student Referrals

What methods of seeking student referrals from other students are appropriate, given the new restrictions?

You may ask current students if they might know anyone that would be interested in coming in for a Bring a Friend Day!

The new requirements would require students to voluntarily, and without incentive, provide information for a friend. This could require more community involvement from the schools, providing activities where groups of potential students would attend together.

I think isn't anymore complicated than asking. It is free to ask and it is free for them to say yes or no on giving referrals.

I would have to tell them that I only know about our institution and I'm not in position to asnwer about other schools.

You may ask current students if they know of anyone that would be interested in coming to school. Our school has a referral day and bring a friend to school day.

I agree, asking is half the battle; and accepting the reality that not all inquiries have someone they can refer.

Asking students to refer a friend during campus-based student services event.

Students can no longer be given any type of incentive to provide the names of friends or relatives who may be interested in the school. Students need to volunteer this information. Schools, however, can ask for this information at a campus-wide school event.

Debra - thanks for your response. I am glad to see schools implementing the necessary modifications to comply with the regulatory changes.

I agree with you Deb, we may ask our current students if they know anyone who may be interested in YTI. We also have special referral days at each campus.

Asking for a referral from a student without offering an incentive.

I think this gives a school an opportunity to be more creative when receiving referrals. Asking is the first step - many of our students seek us out to ask how to refer someone, but for those who are too shy to approach us, we need to just ask! Also, hosting bring a friend days scheduled to coincide with Student Services events, as well as having community events (Battle of the Bands) where you can invite both current and future students are great ways to get them to bring their friends to see how cool school is!

Jan - thanks for your positive approach! Creative ideas like these may help new students and address activities for which your current students get more engaged with the institution. I appreciate you sharing these thoughts.

As long as students are not offered incentives they may be asked for student referrals. Referrals may be requested but students should not be badgered to provide a name or made to feel it is a requirement of any kind.

A request for a student referral may be asked, but a student may not be given incentives, or pressured into giving a referral.

You can not reward students for referrals, just ask for them. We can no longer offer incentives for the students sending us referrals.

Incentives cannot be offered in exchange for a referral. Students happy with their YTI experience will gladly recommend their friends and family.

Students can be asked for referrals - but cannot be pushed for a referral.

Great point, Jennifer. If the student genuinely likes the school, they should recommend people without requiring an incentive.

Sign In to comment