Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In today’s competitive and regulated environment, schools must be diligent in ensuring that they are obtaining referrals appropriately. The contributors to this discussion have presented some very good ideas. A school must cultivate its reputation and the best way to do that is by being integral and meeting the expectations of your student customers. I am fortunate to work at a school that has been in the community for 43years. I am proud to say that we have students today who are the children and grandchildren of past graduates. It is so true that satisfied customers will tell their friends and families about their experiences with a school.

At this point the best way to gain referrals is by asking directly. You can also have events with refreshments but nothing of a monetary value.

I agree. We also had a bring your family to school day, and turned out that some siblings and cousins of students ended up enrolling. Happy and successful students are a great resource, both to refer family and friends. Most of our students grew up near the school, so they are well connected to other potential students in the area.

I think "Bring a friend to school day" is an excellent referral idea! What an awesome way for potential students to get a first hand look at what the school entails. Also, it adds a level of comfort for a potential student because they get to experience the school first with a friend and can feel more comfortable asking questions.

Anytime a person has a great experience, the person will tell a friend or family member. Word of mouth continues to be the top advertismen technique.

Our program gives the students an opportunity to rotate in the local hospitals. After experiencing "real life" situation, some students determine professional growth requires continued education. After the graduate begins working, other family members attempt the same path of education.

How exciting to be part of a school that has multiple generations of graduates! Thanks for sharing, Barbara.

David - thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see the impact social media forums, such as facebook, have on the education industry.

By asking current student and graduates

Campus open house. Invite friends over to show what the students do in the classrooms and in the labs. Have friends to sit-in, to observe and appreciate what they can possibly accomplish if they come to school. Show an honest representation of the campus - it may not be a perfect school but it always aspires to be the best.

Bring a friend day seems to work well. Often times, a friend's success gets a person interested in changing their life too. They feel if their friend can succeed, maybe they can too. Keep on training those wonderful future employees!

One method of seeking student referrals is by hosting "bring a friend" day. Bring a friend day allows the people to see the school in action. Also many people most likely feel that there is not any pressure when it is done in this fashion.

I guess the best way is still asking for the referral as everyone has said, from the happy student already attending. I also ask the new enrollment and remind them of what they said during their interview "I like helping people". I usually don't have a problem.

And one of the best way to ask a graduate for referrals is during our Graduation Ceremony.

If an enrolled student states they know someone who would like to enroll, they should be told to contact that particular student and ask them to call a representative of the college and inquire about enrollment.

Bring a friend to school day is something that we've implemented at our campus.

That approach does enable the school to do the follow up with the referred prospect without having to do the "extra" check for do-not-call registration as this makes the prospect fall into the category of allowed contact for 90 days. (Unless they request otherwise).

Token reward under $100 was quoted as being appropriate inducement to get student referrals from existing students.

This was a provision of the safe harbors that will be eliminated effective July 1, 2011. As noted in the course, removal of the federal safe harbor provisions may impact a school’s policy on referrals.

Encouraging the student who referred to bring the referred student for a visit.

Sign In to comment