Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students can bring an interested friend to school with them.

Incentives of no kind are acceptable to students who refer someone to the school. However a friend could invite a friend to tour the school.

Like others have said...bring a friend day works very well. They see the success they are having and want that for themselves. They want a better future and see that there friends are reaching there goals and want that for there future as well.

We can ask students to refer friends and family members whom they think may be interested in coming to our school. No promotions or other incentives are offered in doing so.

Most of the time a friend success can change the way you look at things differently in life. So you will want to get referrals from your students so that you are able to make calls and get them motivated about their life and career.

I think just putting out good quality graduates speaks for it's self.

I agree with both of you, our students should be our greatest spokespeople. I believe that if we do our jobs correctly and to the best of our ability that students will be more likely to want to refer business. I think that we are not giving enough credit to this generation though, young people today, while maybe a little jaded, still have good hearts and still want to help people. if we help them, they will want to "pay it forward" and help others.

Stephen - I think you are right about today's generation of youth. They are very vocal and, if the message is positive, this can be leveraged to help create awareness of a program and/or institution. But they will also be quick to spread any bad news - also in the spirit of "helping" to inform people. This should keep al industries, including education, on their toes to meet and exceed expectations to create satisfied spokespeople (students and alumni) that may be advocates.

over the phone when you set the interview is a great time to ask if the prospect has any friends or family that share their same interest.

If we provide best customer service with integrity and sincerity, students will refer their friends to us.

Career day slash bring a friend day is always a good way to go. However, it is imperative for institutions to be mindful of the terminology used in presentations to ensure the avoidance of any misrepresentation. A good practice would be for managers and staff to develop a somewhat scripted means to maintain compliance.

Having the Student Profile sheet the student voluntarily completes, gives our reps a vaild referral. Assuming that referral isn't already on a DNC list, this is an effective method of seeking new referrals via current or future students.

Agreed. Students excitement is contagious to our work and also to friends and family whom might also be interested.

I firmly believe that as with any business, if you have a good product that is useful, that it will sell itself. All these different gimicks that I see admissions doing really have limited results. It really is all about providing a quality educational experience each and every single day as well as going above and beyond when it comes to customer service. Do those things well, and the school and programs will almost sell themselves.

I think there is a very fine line between just asking students for a referral and sounding desperate for leads. I think in some cases, the constant barrage of trying to get referrals actually makes the students do the opposite because they just get sick of hearing it all the time.

Kenny,
Well said. I agree that if the experience is positive, the school can thrive and prosper based on the quality provided.

Traci Lee

I have found bring-a-friend day to work well in driving referral activity. Students are always happy to show others where they are going to school and what they are doing. The most important aspect when setting up an event like this is to ensure that the classrooms have stimulating activities planned for the day. The friends or relatives usually find the activities exciting and sometimes it strikes an interest in them and also the feeling that they can accomplish their goals if they attended school as well.

When you do ask for a referral you will have to make sure they are not on the do not call report. So the best way is bring a friend to the your interview or open house events.

Kelly ,

Great point - and then have that individual provide you with his/her contact info for follow up within compliance guidelines.

Traci Lee

Agreed, we have held several bring a friend to school days in the past and they seem to work well, it gives the students friends an idea of success and an oppurtunity for them to see the facility and interact with the faculty and staff.

Sign In to comment