Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the idea of having the students talk more about what they are learning as a means of assessment because it will make them more engaged in their learning .

Student engagement starts with being able to answer the following questions for the student:

Am I interested?, Can I do this?, Does it matter?

I learned that students retain information in the beginning of the school year and the end and that the in-between time of the school is when they slump in retention.  So what does this mean for our semester long classes in high school?  That they only retain what is taught in September through October and forget what is taught in November and December?  Why do we give end-of-course exams for semester long classes and end-of-year exams for year-long classes.  

Student's engagement is very important. I think if students feel free to talk to class without worry of getting a bad grade, they will be more willing to engage more in a positive way. 

The three primary questions to ask when developing engagement are: Am I interested? Can I do this? Does it matter? Utilizing these three questions to continuously develop/improve classroom strategies to strengthen engagement is critical. Without the insertion of these principles, students simply lose interest in their attempt to learn leading to reduced engagement. 

Use a "this one time" style of question where the student uses an example from their real life. 

Being sure that the students are engaged is essential.

Engagement while talking is important in order to share information as well as know whether or knowledge has been obtained as well as display of outcome.

To summarize, teachers should encourage interaction with material through facilitating conversations (productive talk) and engaging students to help them understand the "why" is critical to their engagement and retention.

Teachers need to model metacognitive processes, provide un-graded opportunities for productive talk, and support a community of learning.

Students understanding the three key questions "Am I interested?, Can I do this?, Does it matter?" feels validating and important for CTE. I get all ability levels in my classroom and part of the challenge can be increasing their confidence that 'yes I can do this'. Also a huge key to engagement that I have seen in my classroom is making it relevant (am I interested?), this is so helpful for students. 

The lesson explains methods for preparing and executing instruction to students.  First, it must be engaging, so a teacher should be considering the three questions each student will ask when a lesson begins:  "Am I interested?", "Can I do this?", and "Does this matter?"

Second, what levels of DOK does a lesson reach?  Are they all covered?  Do they need to be?  (For much of CTE, Level 3 is adequate, at least in my understanding).

As instruction turns to student exercise, failure needs to be acceptable as a means for growth and learning, as failure can itself be a teacher if that failure is analyzed properly.  SWOT could, in my view, be a way to analyze a failure effectively.

There were several other examples as well, for which I appreciated the HVAC video a great deal, being an HVAC instructor myself.  I could implement that exercise, in fact.  So I'm grateful for the quality of the content of this lesson.

I wish I could produce more talk in my classes. Everyone is too afraid to speak no matter what I do. I cannot wait to learn more and get these kids more productive in class!

I identify with the fact that students learn in the same way we the instructors learn and we should take into consideration that keeping assignments as simple as possible is the way to go. Students will not engage on material they do not understand. We should also be prepared to find alternate ways of getting the same message across.

I have learn that productive talk leads to learning

so I will not put so much emphasis on grades going forward. I will use the 30 second talk strategy to get them more engaged. Also allowing the students to lead discussions.

I like the idea of using peer discussion as a means of leveling out learning styles

Sign In to comment