Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Trauma-Sensitive Learning Environments | Origin: EC105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Secondary Students Affected by Trauma --> Trauma-Sensitive Learning Environments

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned to recognize some of the signs and symptoms associated with traumatic events.

I am going to be more aware of students' behaviors and look for signs associated with traumatic events. 

This gives one another perspective of how traumatic events may affect the student's behavior.

It is very important to take care of yourself as a teacher, burn out can be a real problem .

Providing students a safe environment that is judgment-free can allow them to view the teacher/classroom/school as a safe place and enable them to find success in the classroom. 

It is important to recognize the signs of emotional and physical trauma in students. Teachers also need to take care of themselves in order to keep their own emotions in check. 

1. Use specific positive reinforcement.
  2. Ignore minor negative behavior infractions.
  3. Use 10 positive statements to 1 negative statement.
  4. Create a collaborative problem-solving solution to address behavioral issues.
  5. Be consistent

Can't help but think that the world in general could use this knoweldge, a reminder that people around us can be going through and reacting to trauma that we are unaware of.  We could all use reminders of just how important it is that we be as humane to one-another as we can.  Self-care is something that I feel gets mentioned in education often, but that it tends not to be genuinely prioritized.  The culture of education could be improved by really putting in the work to ensure a healthy culture of self-care.

It is critical to use a reinforcement method not a punishment centric method This helps model the type 

It is important for teachers to be aware of any signs of trauma in their students.

i have learned that there is usually a reason for some students to be acting out and not be so quick to judge them.  

I had never thought of sarcasm as "hostility disguised as humor" -- I tend to use sarcasm a lot & will rethink this approach moving forward. 

Be aware. Use positive reinforcement. Sarcasm is not the best way. Work with an acting out student. Don't be so quick to dismiss them.

I liked the fact that as observers of behaviors in our students and incorporating a method of providing assistance to help them, there was also an emphasis placed on the the observer to take mental inventory of ourselves.

I think trauma informed classrooms need to be prepared to adapt at any point. As trauma varies, and changes with the zeitgeist, it is critical that teachers do not create an unspoken hierarchy for various trauma. I work very hard in my classroom to instill a sense of empathy within the community regarding others learning experience. We discuss problems of perspective and how to continuously maintain a safe space.

Remember that behaviors can be a result of trauma, and to treat the students with compassion, instead of punitive reaction. 

Use resources, they have been made available to be utilized

I intend to be more aware in my everyday interactions with students on how trauma may be impacting their actions and reactions. It is important to me to keep a safe environment for all students. 

After reading this, I think I need to be a little less relaxed in my scheduling. 

Sign In to comment