Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Trauma in the Classroom | Origin: EC105

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Secondary Students Affected by Trauma --> Trauma in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Students often hide their feelings of trauma, and it is best if a teacher suspects some abuse issues that he coordinates the proper response in a timely manner.

We could experience vicarious trauma from hearing our students stories.

As educators, this is a job hazard. That is why it is so important to practice self-care. 

Looking for triggers, can help me figure out what the student is going through.

The triggers are the hard part, sometimes you dont know what they are and set them off without knowing. 

Trauma-informed practices can help teachers recognize the potential symptoms of PTSD and Trauma. It is important to be able to recognize symptoms of PTSD for what they are, because if handled incorrectly it can lead to behavioral concerns and significantly decrease student achievement. 

Although it is a challenge to see the signs and symptoms of trauma and PTSD , teachers should be quick to respond wnenever necessary. Teachers must consider having one or more students suffering from trauma and PTSD in her class, thus providing a trauma informed classroom. There should also be collaboration involving everyone to create a trauma informed school so that students will have shelter.

It is difficult to pinpoint signs of trauma because it can resemble many ailments.  Some signs are more prominent and easier to spot.  We as educators need to be on the constant lookout for the signs and get help.

75% of teachers experience some level of vicarious trauma due to their work in schools with students. Wow.

Recognizing triggers seems to be a key aspect that needs to be adressed. It is possible that the trigger will lead to the root cause and help the instructor better assess the situation.

It is important to remember trauma affects people in different ways.

To be our best, we have to be able to recognize the effects of trauma has on our kids.

i have learned to recognize what some of the triggers are in my students.

This was a difficult module to work through as I was one of "those kids" growing up - Lots of trauma. Lots. I could easily recognize many of the behaviors that landed me in trouble (socially, academically, etc.) as I read through the different descriptions. Having exhibited many of these behaviors during adolescence it is easy for me to identify the students who are struggling like I did, but can be challenging to remember that there are other symptoms, other ways to process and respond to what is happening / has happened in your life. I guess for me the takeaway is to not pre-judge the source of a student's behavior. If I'm seeing something problematic, try to learn more before jumping to conclusions - and be ready to help them access the resources they need to be safe and successful.

Understanding different and various levels of trauma has always been part of my daily instruction, learning to recognize the actions of my students and making an informed decision. This is a tough area as each one reacts on their own level to trauma quite differently. Each day is small steps to healing.

Chronic trauma is something that is continuously happening.

Trauma happens in several forms. As educators, we need to be cognent to these. Not only for ourselves, but our students. Thus, allowing us to take the proper steps to help them.

I've personally experienced some of the behaviors mentioned in the lesson, but can't recall if they are due to any specific type of truama. I'm certain that the misinterpretation of certain behaviors can go both ways. Maybe the behavior is tied to other issues (i.e., learning disabilities, laziness). As teachers we need to remember that it is not our place to make a diagnosis, but we can report troublesome behaviors that can be addressed by trained professionals.

Opportunities to recognize and respond to students at risk is a responsibility that carries a lot of weight for me.  I want to be able to help as a side function of my normal duties, but so often I feel ill prepared to make informed assessments.  I'm by no means a professional and these are very serious conditions to be an amature.

Sign In to comment