Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Management or Leadership | Origin: LS101R

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Do You Manage Or Lead? --> Management or Leadership

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have a better understanding of the differences between a leader and a manager.  My role as PD is still a combination of both leadership and management - definitely more heavily management-based though.  

This module helped me better understand the difference between management and leadership. Management focuses more on organizing, planning, and improving processes and procedures, while leadership focuses on influence, vision, communication, and aligning people toward a common purpose. Both are important. 

I plan to apply what I learned by being intentional about how I interact with others. I will continue to organize and manage responsibilities effectively while also working to communicate a clear vision, encourage others, and help to create a positive and supportive environment. 

You need both a competent leader and manager to achieve goals.  The leader is the visionary who asks the questions and challenges the status quo and the manager is the one who executes and keeps things stable.

After reviewing the differences between a manager and a Leader. I feel I demonstrate both a leader and a manager. 

Managers and Leaders are important in an Company.  The problem is that some managers beleive that they are leaders too and that's always is not right.   I was trying to do an exercise with the directors of my organization and most of them are Managers, not leaders. 

Comment on George Ferguson's post: I am in a similar situation where I wear both hats-the manager hat and the leader hat. This exercise gave me valuable insight into which role I tend to use most often. I realize that I spend more time focused on management responsibilities and need to be more intentional about my leadership skills. 

Management and leaders are different meaning, however, they work together. Leaders are innovative while managers administers.

Leaders press for change and challenge the status quo.

Managers focus on promoting stability and accepting the status quo.

In my career it was both. The real question, depending on circumstances and roles, is what the ratio of leadership to management is. The larger the organization, the more distinct the separation between leaders and managers. Consequently, the greater likelihood of impersonal relationships, conflict, miscommunication, and poor retention. I've seen, heard about, and experienced it. I'd say that in the majority of organizations, leadership & management activities overlap to varying degrees. Significant delineation of these roles may well be the only option for large purely metric driven organizations. Real innovation comes when an organization can replicate the ability of people to implement the varying levels of leadership when they are managing, as well as teaching leaders not to forget the importance of passing down the management skills they may have learned.

In my opinion, interpersonal relationships are rarely cut & dry, this or that, yes or no. I'm no Jack Welch, and GE was a great success story, but I may disagree with him on a couple little things. :)

Both roles are very important 

Both are a necessary component to the success of the program 

Both are a necessary component Comment on Linda Russell's post: 

In order to have a successful organization, both leadership and management are required. There should always be a balance between a leader that's able to inspire, and a manager that is able to organize and execute different tasks. 

you need both effective leaders and managers for a successful organisation and they may or may not be the same people

Both leaders and managers are required in an effective organization.

I learned the differences between the roles, but also their importance and how they complement each other.

Leadership and management are related but not the same: leadership focuses on setting a vision, inspiring people, and driving change, while management focuses on planning, organizing, and ensuring tasks are completed efficiently. Leaders influence and motivate others to move in a shared direction, whereas managers coordinate resources and processes to achieve specific goals. In practice, strong organizations need both leadership to define where to go, and management to ensure they get there effectively.

From this topic, I learned that management and leadership are both important, but they serve different roles and are most effective when used together. Management focuses on planning, organizing, and maintaining structure to ensure tasks are completed efficiently and goals are met. Leadership, on the other hand, is about influencing people, building trust, and motivating others to perform at their best. A key takeaway for me is that someone can manage processes without leading people well, and that often leads to low engagement, while strong leadership can positively impact morale even when challenges arise.

I intend to apply this by working toward a balance between managing responsibilities and leading people. I want to make sure expectations are clear while also taking the time to support, encourage, and listen to others. Instead of focusing only on rules and outcomes, I want to understand what motivates individuals and help them feel connected to the bigger picture. This lesson helped me see that effective leadership strengthens management, and together they create a more productive and positive environment.

This module gave me a framework I didn't know I needed. I've been in education administration long enough to have worn both hats — manager and leader — but I never had the vocabulary to articulate the difference as clearly as John Kotter does. Managers cope with complexity; leaders cope with change. That simple distinction hit home for me.

The "Assign the Trait" exercise was genuinely reflective. Going through words like "maintain" versus "innovate," or "accept the status quo" versus "challenge the status quo," made me ask myself honestly: where am I spending most of my time? In a role like mine, it's easy to get consumed by the day's administrative complexity and lose sight of the visionary, people-centered work that actually moves an organization forward.

What I'm taking away most is the time-tracking exercise — using it to assess my own management-to-leadership ratio. I want to be more intentional about creating space for leadership, not just reacting to what lands on my desk each morning. Kotter's reminder that strong leadership with weak management is no better than the reverse keeps me humble. Both matter. Both are needed.

I'd love to hear from others — do you naturally gravitate more toward the management side or the leadership side? And how do you create balance between the two in your current role?

Sign In to comment