Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would have to go with a bit of everything, of course this depends on the situation and what is at stake. I find that stress motivates me to complete whatever project is at hand so that I can eliminate that stress. On the other side of that I can tend to become distracted because of frustration and need to take breaks etc. But the breaks help me to walk off the stress and think so all together I would say stress is a motivator because when I get distracted I take a breather and can return with renewed vigor.

There is definitely good and bad stress. Good stress usually comes from a forseen goal that is positive and adds to your own selfworth. Stresses also need activity such as you explained where you can reflect and reload your system to approach the challenges.

Stress is a motivator to me when it is at a low level. If I have a far away deadline that I know is easy to meet, I procrastinate. If I try to do the job earlier I can't focus very well. As the deadline nears my focus and productivity levels increase. If I procrastinate too long though, the pressure gets too high, and then I buckle. Sometimes, I don't allow for interruptions in time and my time management system backfires and I screw myself up and create my own problems this way.

Organization and time mamagment is a must for stress relief. When we are ahead of the game we reduce the stress levels.

...For more information, I recommend reading WHY ZEBRAS DON'T GET ULCERS by Robert M. Sapolsky. The author uses humor, and an extradinary amount of insightfulness into stress.

I agree with your choice. Humor with a good sense value system will help with your stress and others

I suspect that they are both. Stress can be useful at times to help provide motivation. How we handle the stress can be a problem, however.

I agree, but some things can be stressful even if order and time management are in check. I believe it is the type of situation that can determine stress that is hard to manage.

I know people who do not know about good or bad stress. To them, stress is stress.

After exercising, I find that I am in a better mood, even if I were stressed when I started.

Exercise always is a good activity add this with good mental health and spirituality will balance your life.

It is easy to determine stress that is causes life threatening thoughts and stress which contributes to your well being ands success.

Good stress usually helps to motivate you into good activity.

Stress is in everyones life but how we approach it makes the difference.

I believe that stress can be both a motivator and a distractor. In certain situations I myself respond differently. When I was competitively diving - one of my coaches would purposefully aggravate me to the point that I would be more worried about them than the competition. And ironically I did a lot better when I had this type of influence. So this could be construed as good stress and a great motivator.

Stress can certainly be both motivating and distracting, depending on the situation.

This past week has been example of stress as a motivator. Today is the last day of final exams for the term. Knowing the end of the term was fast approaching helped me to focus on grading projects, quizzes, etc.

Other times, stress can get in the way of completing tasks. For example, concern over a situation with family or friends is a distraction when it comes to getting tasks completed for school. Often, I catch my mind wandering off to other topics while I'm looking at a student's assignment on my computer screen.

I think stress can be a motivator if the person thinks that accomplishing the job or task will improve the workplace or their environment. If it doesn't then it becomes a more stressful.

For example, if you are asked to do tasks that prevent you from doing what you will be evaluated on in the work, the extra task can be a tremendous stress.

There is good and bad stress and you are right some good stress may become bad. It is important that we learn from things gone wrong. If we can channel stress in the right direction to only encourage and motivate us to do better we will be contending with stress in a positive way.

Stress for me is in the form of motivation as well as a distracter. I may be inclined to work harder or I may worry and not get anything completed. I stress over not being able to do everything for everyone. I like to not stress but then again I stress to do as much as I mentally and physically can possibly complete.

I believe stress encourages me to be more active.

Stress and motivation can work together. But is important to know good stress from bad stress. Unhealthy stress needs to be contended with for your own good. Techniques to lower stress needs to be practiced.

Sign In to comment