Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress can most definitely be both a motivator and a distractor. The circumstances will determine what it becomes to each person. What I find stressful may be a world of difference from what another person finds stressful. Add to that the response to the stressor and we have many variations of stress producing situations. I personally have a healthy fear of failure so I plan not to fail. It is not stressful for me because I am confident in my abilities. At the same time, I look to find ways to shrug things off if I cannot change them. As a mother, if something is wrong with my children, stress will certainly be a distractor and I am not sure it can be helped.

Renee,
As a past special educator we always removed emotion from all our actions. We constantly needed to make decisions on the expected response to be of value and purpose.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Negative Stress to me is causes both physical and emotional trauma. If I am absent minded and forgetful and the result is me leaving something behind that is important to me, I physically can get ill as my mind beats me up over the incident.

Positive Stress on the other hand can be a great motivator, such the procrastinator one can be, I sorta thrive on getting stressed about a deadline and which as you have stated is "motivation to succeed" at which time when accomplished successfully leads to personal reward.

Darrell,
You have really got this right. The designation between these stresses and awareness on their effects on you is important. You obviously have a plan to deal with each. Good job!

Dr. Gary Carlson

It's a motivator until it interferes with one's ability to get things done.

Kristin,
Stress can be positive until it is severe trauma to you. When it drives you to do good things the outcomes are rewarding.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress is a motivator and a distraction. Stress can be channeled to help produce great ideas and thoughts because of the increased level of emotion. A sense of urgency can help stimulate the mind. However, stress can cloud your thoughts if you allow it to take over. Stress can can use to feel overwhelmed, and cause a person to shut down.

Vanessa,

There is positive and negative stress. Positive stress usually has some reward and negative stress is no reward with trauma or emotion. If we can keep these in perspective we will do well with our stress relief techniques.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress in my opinion can be both. There are times that certain types of stress can motivate individuals to accomplish goals. For example, the stress of completing a degree can make some people focus on what they want to accomplish despite the stress. However, that same stress can cause others to feel overwhelmed. I think that there are general aspects of stress that apply to all, but there are aspects that may make some overcome any obstacle while others break down.

Yamary,
There are two types of stress. One is definitely negative and the other may be positive for motivation. Stress from a trauma, catastrophe or personal loss is hard to control. Stress from work can be addressed if we have the stress management activity practice in our knowledge base.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dr. Carlson,

Stress is both a motivator and distracter. As a writer I always thrive to meet a deadline. The quality of my work is motivation to succeed. On the other hand, stress distracts when it is negative. Instead of going to the point of distraction, stop and breathe.

Best Regards,

Andrea Millazzo Boban

Andrea,
Distraction is a characteristic that may happen to any of us. The distraction may be different for different people.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress is definitely a motivator and a distractor. Stress can motivate us to be and do our best. However, too much stress can lead to unhealthy thinking patterns and illness, and as the course said, cause people to literally become frozen in their actions. I like the quote in the class by Adam Phillips, "If worrying can persecute us, it can also work for us, as self-preparation. No stage fright, no performance."

Sandra,
There is positive and negative stress. Negative stress can be harmful to your health. Stress caused from trauma, personal loss or health may need professional support to cope.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress can motivate me to work harder. The stress of a deadline can make me focus like no other. It can also distract me from my work. A family situation can completely break my concentration to the point where I can't think about my duties or my to-do list. I was in the unfortunate circumstance that this happened to me at once. A relative died right when our accrediting body was visiting to check my files. Talk about double duty! Needless to say, that was a very very hard week. That said, I agree it is definitely both.

Sign In to comment