Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress can be motivating when drive from it is positive. Stress from trauma is harder to handel. Personal problem stress is harder to deal with.

Both. Stress is a variable component. Too much and you are distracted. Too little and your motivation is going to dwindle (why worry)! It’s nice to have no worries but eventually even the grasshopper gets stressed about the coming winter. A little stress encourages planning and action to get to the job done so you can move closer to 'no stress'.

Positive stress helps us all. Stress with focus that produces positive and rewarding outcomes is always encouraging to do more. When your stress is focused on negative or traumatic events it may cause emotional or health issue.

I find that they do both motivate and distract. I find that deadlines for projects to help me stay on track and keep the momentum going to complete the task while provinding me with a level of strees to get them done. On the other hand stress can be so overwhelming that it can impede the process and cause me to procrastinate leading to poor project outcomes.

Structure is a great way of responding to project and assignments. I have always found you can do much better when you start early and revisit your projects before they are due. Stress is reduced when you feel you have had enough time and support to accomplish the task. Sometimes you may be hit with a inpromtu project.
These are sometimes the hardest to deal with. The best practice is to first outline what needs to be done first and progress through your outline.

I mostly find stress a distracter. I feel overwhelmed until I can vent & or exercise. Both activities help me put things into perspective & clear my head.

Exercises are very good activities for stress. Please see John Medina's book "Brain Rules". You can see him speak on "You Tube".

Stress, when held in check, is a great motivator. Being a chef I thrive on stress; it helps me focus on the tasks at hand, it helps me move faster, and it helps me find the energy to complete my tasks.

There have been occassions, though, where I let my stress levels get too high and that only resulted in me being unorganized and unfocused. Times like this I would take a deep breath and reassess my prep lists to ensure I was working efficiently.

There is both good and bad stress. Some stress does motivate us and has it's rewards. Bad stress can harm us and cause us health problems. Stress relievers can reduce bad stress. You need to understand your body to know what works for you.

stress can be such a positve emotion. It helps me meet my deadlines. I get very excited over growth and new changes. With those changes stress over getting the changes made can be overwhelming at times but the stress is what helps get it done. It is exciting. Like a roller coaster ride and when your done you want to do it again. its fun to succeed.

its also a distracter if it becomes too overwhelming. then it is hard to focus on anything else and everything can go to pot.

Good policy and procedure is the safety net for any distracability. Team members need some foundation to fall back on for clarity and communication support. Each person needs to have the ability to have a fall back person to clarify direction and expected outcomes. This person can be a support person to the mission of the organization.

It seems stress for you is a motivator which is very encouraging to a leader. Positive stress may be the way to motivate you in the future to meet deadlines and achieve at high levels. Some people may retreat under high stress and this is when a different technique is necessary to move forward. Support team members will help this person to move forward with the mission in mind.

I often find myself doing my best work when I am "stressed". I learned in college exactly how much I could procrastinate and how much needed to be done ahead of time. I would do the research ahead of time and then ponder on the actual writing part of the project up until the last minute. This works as long as there are no additional stressors involved. I do have issues with toxic worry--and I find it overlapping into other areas of my life. I've been able to lessen it slightly but it's an ongoing job.

Stress is a motivator for certain individuals, but not for others. The uniform application of stress can therefore have some positive results, as well as very negative results depending on the individual. The current high levels of stress commonly found in most American corporations seem to have a negative impact on their work force as a whole, usually resulting in a drop in performance and employee participation, leading to a loss of trust in the management of the corporation.

Coming from a corporate environment I couldn't ageree with you more. Healthy stress may be a healthy exercise.

I would consider it to be both. It a work assignment of grad school assignment, it has helped push me to reach for bigger and better solutions. However, personal stressors such as money and/or relationships have also been distractions.

There are both good and bad stress. Stress that is productive and can help you in health or business is often rewarding and beneficial. Emotional stress that is caused by bad situations you what to avoid. Your best decisions come from good stress.

I have found that I perform at my peak when under a deadline. This method gives me a time table to divide the project by. Thereby allowing for daily check points which enables me to avoid a project accumulation which history has shown to increase stress.
Pat Broderick

Pat,
It is important to be organized when confronting a sharp deadline. It seems you know how to put your priorities in order. Some of what this is called is chunking the assignment into parts so you can accomplish the outcome within the time limits. If you have established the correct flags to determine the success of your activity you will succeed.

Good Job!

There is an interesting book out now that reflects on today's motivation of people and employees. It is titled "Drive" by Daniel Pink.

Sign In to comment