Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It depends on the situational factors of who, what, when where and why the stressor is occurring. Depending on the personality type different people will respond to the same situations differently.

Stress can be both a distracter and a motivator.
Some types of stress makes your mind wandered off and you talk to yourself and then you are not able to think or work so you need to distress yourself. Will other stress becomes a motivator to get the job done. Some people wait until the stress becomes the motivator or actually work best under this type of stress. Some say they work best under stress, the motivator.

Brigid,
Everyone is different and we need to be knowledgeable enough to understand behavior of your employees. What happens before the behavior is exhibited?

Dr. Gary Carlson

Darlene,
Good and bad stress has to handled in different ways. Good stress in often a positive motivator. Bad stress is usually a result of trauma or personal loss.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I understand the difference and value of positive stress, but in my situation most workplace stress is negative and what most people think of. We are always asked to do more and meet crazy deadlines. What helps me is prioritizing and trying to block out distractions that create a more stressful environment. It's always a challenge not to get caught up in a negative stressful situation, but trying to keep a balance of work, relaxation and fun has always helped me.

Jennifer,
Misguided task are usually thought of as negative stress. Great leaders have asked insurmountable request with great victories and accomplishments. The difference was the leader was a great communicator of purpose. When people understand the expectation and necessity to accomplish the task employees step up to the challenge.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress is both a motivator and a distracter. Positive stress motivate us to be more productive; if stress turns into toxic worry then it impedes our productivity and distorts the real situation.

I also perform best with a deadline, but historically I have been an "11th hour" person which always amplified my stress. Today I plan each day to minimize my stress.

Timothy,

You are completely right with both. Toxic is a distraction and can cause us to be occupied with the wrong things.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Timothy,

When we make split second decisions we allow our best guess or experience take over. There may be no choice. But when we have the time to make a calculated decision we normally make a decision we can substantiate

Dr. Gary Carlson

I have found it to be both, as when I'm super stressed I just don't have the motivation or energy to want to do anything. Then again, there are many times it is a motivator and I work the best under that little bit of pressure. It definitely makes me very organized and I just get down to it until the job is complete. Usually that is followed by relief and self satisfaction that the job got done to my best capacity.

Jennifer ,

Achievement always helps reward us. We need to always conquer stress and defeat it with our methods of balancing our lives with good health habits, recreation, mental relaxation and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress can be both. When at a level that promotes increased focus and alertness, it may be helpful. But when it is debilitating, it replaces current distractions with what may be a complete drop in action--even worse.

Ajani,

You are very correct about both types of stress. You need to be able to dicern between both types. When you are considerably distracted to keep you from performing this is the wrong kind of distress you or any of us should endure. Keep your balance with life activites to keep stress from taking over your day to day life.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress can be both, it depends on how you allow it to effect you. A negative situation can quickly be turned into a victory when handeled correctly.

Shawnte,
Negative stress often comes from a personal trauma or a catastrophe. Your approach has to always be on the high side of what we can accomplish. Small steps to large achievements.

Dr. Gary Carlson

It depends on how we seeing certain situations, if we are the kind of people who exaggerate problems like impossible to deal with them, we definitely will get distracter stress, because we get worry about all things we should do or is happening (deadlines projects, pending paperwork, filing, meetings, presentations, work overload, organization restructuring, other) like if we need to do it all at the same time or we will be layoff from work; instead of being focused on solutions. Only if we take the time to Evaluate the problem, Plan what we can do and Taking direct action, distracter stress goes away and motivator stress appears, giving us the necessary energy and clear of mind to confront and solve problems; without letting us with knowledge that even when we are putting the best effort there will be some situations out of our controls; in those ocassions is better let the worry go until later. Certainly stress effect (Motivator- Distractor) depends on how people reacts to difficulties and unexpected situations.

Merary,
Great comments by you. You seem to have the right idea about how to deal with different stress issues. Prioritization is the key and having the priorities first and make sure you are dealing with those things you can make a difference. It may call for some delegation with some of your colleagues who could deal with some issues for you. Your determination and flexibility will always be a pulse for you. Your vitality and contributions I believe will be plentiful.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I am a Program Director for Graphic Design and have always had stress as part of my life. From meeting deadlines to owning my own design studio. I find that most stress is the kind that keeps me motivated.

But there is a line that can be crossed where to much to do is a distraction rather than a motivator. When this happens it feels like one can't get started on anything because there is too much to think about. Organizing my workspace helps to prioritize my tasks and writing down random thoughts that are distracting keeps me from feeling like I need to keep thinking about them because I am afraid I will forget something. After this is accomplished it is easier to see what to do and when.

Kim,
We would all be lying if we said we didn't experience some stress. Your organization is key to solving the issue so it doesn't become unhealthy. We all have our own methods of dealing with stress. Some are good and some are not. The key is the balance we live with exercise, recreation, mental pleasure activity, healthy habits and spiritual rejuvenation. Keep up your cognizance of what works for you.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment