Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks, George. What are some of the things you consider as your prioritize?

Thanks for the post, Marybeth.

Is the due date your main determinant when setting out your priorities or are there other factors you consider?

I use Microsoft Office with the schedule and task manager, putting dates on the calendar for task to be accomplished. It helps keep track of what needs to be done each day and week, and it sends me reminders!

This is a good use of technology! How do you use Outlook to set priorities?

Outlook has a Task section that allows you to manage your to-do list. With each task you can assign a follow-up flag as today (red), tommorrow (amber), next week (yellow). You can also assign the task to another co-worker. The Outlook system also allows you to catagorize each task as Red, Yellow or Green. Critical, Enabling or Nice to Have.

Thanks, Hank. It sounds like you are using the technology to help you manage time well.

I make myself a to-do list and take care of critical and daily tasks that must be accomplished each day. I try very hard not to get side tracked with other small things like checking too many emails or answering the phone, which can get distracting.

Thank you, Christine. Many "experts" suggest closing Outlook until you are ready to answer emails to avoid the temptation to let each email become an "informal instant priority."

I scale the tasks by periority according to the needs for my daily Job and the Goals by the importance of achievment to improve my career developments.
George

Thanks, George.

What do you do to ensure that your career development goals match the goals of your employer or your customers?

I find my Outlook calendar does an excellent job keeping me on track; however the reminders I hit the “snooze” button on quickly back up if I don’t stay on top of them.

Thanks, William.

Outlook can be a very good organizational tool. However, the Outlook user still has to determine prioritites. How do you decide which things on your Outlook schedule or listed in your tasks arethe top priority items?

I put my to-do tasks for the day in an order identified by an A, B, C method, similar to described in the course. This is a best case scenario and the day can be quickly derailed based on what shows up at my office door.

I have learned to write them down and prioritize according to importance and deadlines.

Thanks. I have found that there are times during the day when I have to shut my door and close Outlook in order to be productive. I try to limit these "out of touch" sessions to about 90 minutes a few times per day. It seems to work for me.

Thanks, Rebecca.

How do you get everything done when it seems that others' priorities do not match your own?

I am a list-maker. Every morning I update my list with items that did not get done the day before. I write out my list in order of importance. I also set reminders in Outlook for important tasks with a deadline.

Thanks, Betsy. I am also a list maker.

What are some things you consider when assigning the level of importance to an item on your list?

I consider the deadline and the amount of time it will take me to complete.

I agree with the deadline and identifying the amount of time it will take to complete.

But, it also takes prioritizing as to a timeline as to how long it takes to complete and what is needed to create.

Dr. Regan

Sign In to comment