Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sophia,

Thanks for this post. i like to use paper and pencil lists. I usually write down something I have already completed just so I can check it off. :)

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree - Outlook provides a flexable tool to plan tasks and it can be adjusted with your mobile device

Michael,

Many people find that their mobile devises wind up enticing them to waste time.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I prioritize my goals and tasks by using scheduling methods,analyzing what is important to the least to greatest, and do not procrastinate.

Equanda,

HJow do you decide what is the most important?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I like the to do list as well. I like to make it out on Friday for the following week and check items off of the list as I accomplish them.

Donna,

I am also a big fan of lists, though I typically do daily lists before I leave for the next day's activity. What are the key factors you consider when setting priorities within the list?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Outlook is a great tool for helping to manage time and priortize using the A-B-C method. Tasks are priortized by company goals, deadlines and/or urgency. Meetings and emails are tools used to share and measure efficiency and results and to determine if alternative approaches to successfuly achieve the desired results are warranted. I downloaded a couple of free apps to test on my phone after working through the modules for this class to possibly improve my use of time managment in my personal life.

Martha,

I hope these new apps work for you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

At the beginning of the year I find myself getting together with my supervisor to discuss the goals we are looking to accomplish with-in set year. After this, we break those goals down to monthly and then weekly task that need to be accomplished to reach those objectives. Once we have established the different task, we decide how to prioritize those task. We do so by determining what are crucial task that need to be completed in order to reach our yearly goals, and which task indirectly support our yearly goals. After we have established and prioritize them, I create a to-do-list on outlook and color categorize the different task by their urgency.

Lawrence,

Great system - Thanks for sharing it. How do you evaluate the "unplanned" events that seem to be as important as any of those that you planned for?

Jeffrey Schillinger

When it comes to unplanned events or urgent task, my supervisor and I evaluate them by determining if they directly or indirectly support our yearly goals. If they do directly or indirectly support our yearly goals, and depending of the urgency of the task or event, there are daily blocked off time with-in the weekly schedule to accommodate such events.

I always ask the boss.... get there feedback and thet that helps set my priorites for meeting the bosses needs during each day.

Thomas,

Thank you for this post. On those days when the boss is unavailable, how do you set priorities?

Jeffrey Schillinger

As an instructor, I have to first make sure I have a lesson plan prior to walking in the class. Grading papers would come next. Then check emails, etc.

An experienced person often knows intuitively how to prioritize tasks at a given time and then proceeds to get things done. Perhaps a new person with little or no experience may benefit from taking the time to write a list of goals and tasks.

That said; in the bigger picture an experienced person may benefit from listing and prioritizing goals (rather than tasks).

I'm an A-B type person. I start each day with a quick glance on my outlook calendar for the scheduled events and then add to it with the tasks that come up daily. At lunchtime I evaluate how the day is going and adjust accordingly. One of the traps I found myself falling into was e-mail checking. I found a lot of wasted time there and now view them first thing in the morning and the last thing before going home.

Alan,

The email practice you describe above is one of the most discussed strategies in this course. (I carve out a three times each day.) I hope this works well for you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I create a "To Do" list and separate it into two categories that I call "Must Do" and "If I can". I limit my list to 5 items or less and update each day from previous day completions. I just don't like A & B since I want to make sure I am always focused on what must get done each day. If I get the second list "If I can" completed too, that is just a bonus. In addition, I have a "Long term" list for those items that take more time, just so I keep them in visible

Kim,

This sounds like a good system. What factors differentiate an "If I can" from a "Must Do?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment