Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The due date determines what is on the "Must Do" list versus the "If I can". If it is due today, it is"Must do", later on the week, it is "If I can".

My first step is to define my goals. The next step is then to prioritize them. I estimate the time required and of course underestimate my deadline date. I learned that early in my career. Always under-promise and over-deliver. If I feel that the results are not optimal, then I start back to step one.

Prioritization of the goals are guided by my campus' ethos, What is best for the student? A company's mission statement defines what is important and also how you are to proceed in uncharted territory.

I prioritize tasks and goals by making list for my self. I do this everyday and methodically go down the checklist task by task until they are complete. Whatever task I was unable to complete one day goes at the top the list for the next day.

Rodriegus,

Thank you for this post. What are some of the things you consider when determing which tasks can be left fot a later time?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I am learning that outlook has many benefits and helps with tackling time management issues!

Mitessa,

What are two or three of the benefits that have helped you the most?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I usually go with a to-do list, but sometimes steer away do to other items that present themselves. I tend to let my self get sidetracked more often than not.

Joshua,

How do you set priorities within your to-do list? What are the things that sidetrack you?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I normally prioritize my goals and tasks by completing the task that is first due.

Justin ,

Due dates do not always identify importance.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Do what is Highest Important first

Rebecca,

I can be a mistake to assume the most important thing must be done first. Working on something that is not due yet, even if it is very important, can mean you miss deadlines on other, nearly as important items. "Most important" does not always require first attention.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree with using paper and pencil lists. I always have a to-do list, and I organize a & B priorities. I usually have a section on the bottom right corner for my C's and unforeseen priorities. I feel that handwriting lists keep me more in tune with what tasks I have at hand, and I can add and adjust accordingly.

Danielle,

I make out a list every evening before I leave after a review of my projects and the calendar for the next few days. It is a bit old school, but it works.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I do so as well Sophia. There are many responsibilities that go along with adulthood, that become impossible to manage without a to do list. Especially if one leads a very busy life.

I use my calendar to keep track of when things are due and then review it at either the end or beginning of the day to make a to do list for the next day. I prioritize the list based on what project needs to be finished first. Some days it gets tricky when I have more than one project due on the same day.

Michele,

Does "due first" always mean "most important?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

No it doesn't. It just means it's due right now :D I find that these things tend to be short and sweet usually (but not always). Once those things are out of the way, you can get onto the most important stuff. At least that's how it tends to be...

I set the goals and then I identify the critical tasks to reach each one of them, and the secondary tasks that would help during the process; normally, I left some room for additional task that may need to de taking care during the process. The entire critical tasks have the highest priority.

Diego,

Leaving room is a very good way to avoid frustration. What makes a task "critical?"

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment