Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Since I have become a faculty member of CTU, I have had to time managment my hours since this is my second job. I had to prioritize first what was more important, and stick with my schedule.

I usually make to do checklists and try to prioritize them. But I believe I have adult ADD, so I have difficulty staying on task with the list. I don' follow it everyday and so I usually have to just start a brand new one. I used to use the Outlook calendar with the old web address I had at work. Later they changed our site and I lost the entire setup and never got it restarted. That was probably the best for me.

Thanks, Tammy.

What are some of the specific things you evaluate when setting priorities as tyou balance two positions?

I always look at the due dates and prioritize first by them. I obviously do the things that are due the soonest. Since I do have a full time teaching position and a part-time position I sometimes have a problem though when time conflicts become a problem. I sometimes have to forego meetings with the part-time position because my full-time position is my main source of income. This happens quite often and I usually have to look at the agendas of both meetings ahead of time and work it out with both of my bosses as to which one I can attend, and then be responisble for the content of the other.

Thanks, Karen. Staying actively engaged at an organization while serving in a PT position can be a real challenge when one's FT position takes up a lot of time. It sounds like you are on top of it. Well done.

I prioritize a few different ways. I utilize Microsoft Outlook and a planner daily. For other projects that are not as critical, I have them on my desk and review them every morning to see what I can clear up very easily. In addition, for some tasks I do delegate to others that I only need to review and approve once the job is done.

When I worked in academic affairs, I often used the calendar in Outlook. I would print my daily schedule each morning and go through the various tasks to ensure that I had everything I needed for each. Towards the end of the day, I would review the following days' tasks/meetings and begin prep for the ones I would most likely be attending. I only used the To-Do feature for the routine, cyclic tasks such as approving weekly time schedules, etc.

Now that I'm an instructor, I've gone old-school. I have a clunky day-planner that I carry everywhere and I draw a line down the page of each day, one side (the one with the times) has my appointments listed. The other side of the page is the To-Do list for the day. I highlight the crucial/urgent tasks. I also keep a weekly goal list on my desk in plain view so that I don't forget the items that require my periodic attention to get completed.

Debra,

It sounds like you are pretty organized. Well done.

What has changed as you set priorities in your new role?

I like to make lists. I just outlook as well as a paper list.

Thank, Nicole.

Making lists is an effective strategy for identifying all that needs to be done. Once the list is done, how do you set priorities among the items on the list?

I keep two lists always in view. One is for long term assignments and important due dates. The other is daily tasks and items that contribute to overarching goals.

I have a daily to do list. My most important projects are at the top. What I do not get done rolls onto the top of the next days list.

Thanks, Allison.

What are the things you consider when deciding on the level of importance of a project?

I prepare every morning a Things-to-do list.

That's great, Rosa.

How do you establish priorities once your to-do list is developed? What are the key factors you consider when setting priorities?

I assign a ranking priority to my tasks depending on when they have to be done and the deadline of each one.Also I use the sticky notes in the computer as a reminder for my self every day and are like a things to-do list.

I usually like to use a To DO List and try to do the tasks that are most important and need to get done on time and immediately. But I do find that it is easy to get side tracked, especially when it comes to email. Time management takes work and that is why I’m taking this class because I need to do a better job at accomplishing my Goals.

I prionitize by looking up my menu I am going to make for my buffet one week ahead of time. Then I break iy down each day to have my orders to come so my cooks can prep for that day. What ever takes the longest to prep out I have come in first and each day after that we go over what we have prep for and what we have to do for tha rest of the week, to have the buffet to go off on friday. It is a to do list for the week.

Thank you, Robert. It sounds like you are on top of things when it comes to the buffet. Well done!

How do you set priorities in other areas of your operation?

Thanks, Robert.

How do you evaluate the priorities not directly related to your menu?

Sign In to comment