Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use outlook. Each class I teach is scheduled as well as meetings I must attend ( I set each with a reminder of about 15 minutes prior to.) I also input tasks (making quiz or exam; make copies of) for the day and or future days. I have a Lesson Plan form to keep me on target in each class, each day. I must admit, I am also a list maker. I do find that student emails and student interruptions can be cumbersome.

Linda,

I have found that turning Outlook off except at times when I am "scheduled" to look at email has been effective.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I Create an activity log on my phone daily and follow it as much as I can.

Lev,

How do you determine which items are the highest priority items on your list?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The day is a set of new adventures. I tend to take each day with a time based block. I will set aside things that can be done quick to do later and work on the long task. This tends to make my day end on a rapid pace but I have it down to a science. I will work on items that I store on the back burner when I have free time. The schedule I work on makes it easy to prioritize my day and accomplish my task.

Oliver,

Thank you for this post. It sounds like you have a system that works for you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have a hard time doing this. I think all of my tasks are high priority. Tasks with a scheduled date associated with it (writing the exam which is to take place in a few days for instance) become high priority and then fall into an urgent category). Organizing past class notes and lectures become less urgent, however these tasks never seem to get completed. The suggestions seem good in this module but my brain does not work that way. I would stress out trying to keep track of my time and I think I would waste more time.

Every 10 weeks at work we develop three strategic goals that align with the organization and outline steps or tasks to support those goals, determine how they are measured, etc. We assess our progress weekly. On a daily basis, I use the outlook calendar. I plan the next day's work at the end of the current day. I also use the ABC method. In addition, I look at my overall weekly schedule to see where meetings fall and where I have large chunks of time to assign myself blocks of work/project time. Finally, I love to start the day early and when no one is in the office in the morning, tackle my most important priorities. I refer to my daily day throughout the day to stay on track.

I make a to do list however after taking this class I plan to start using the A,B,C method to point out what has priority.
Prioriting is a weakness of mine and I am happy to have hopefully found a solution!
Thank you,

Lauren,

I hope this works well for you. The toughest thing may be identifying the Bs as opposed to the Cs or As.

Jeffrey Schillinger

i make a to do list. where i write down what must get done, what should get done and what could get done if i have extra time.

Kayla,

How do you decide the priority of items on your "to-do" list?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Prioritizing has been the biggest issue I have been struggling with personally and professionally. I plan to implement the techniques discussed in this course ( labeling with A, B, and C). I have a tendency to let smaller priorities take over some of my main priorities. A great quote I was told a few years ago that I try to remember is "there are no emergencies in education". Sounds simple however I know at least for me personally to remind myself of this so I have time to think and process and not just react.

Thank you for this post, Lauren. Sometimes we care so much that we try to give instantaneous service and feedback whhen it is not really necessary. I hope the techniques in this course work well for you.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I simply have all of my task for the day and make sure the once that are time sensitive are done immediately. There are other tasks that need to be done during the week while they are not time sensitive. I incorporate those in between my main task's.

I look at the paperwork to see what is going on that day and the projects that I am covering. I have all the tools and project paperwork ready to go before class starts.

Curtis,

I like to get everything I need for tomorrow's class together before I leave today. This approach usually works well and allows me time for things that could go wrong.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I start with my roles
Son
Husband
Father
Corpsman
Teacher
So first I prioritize my roles, being a son of the most high is my first priority because even if I succeed at everything else and fail at that it won’t matter. Then I review the mission statement of each role and identify what I can do to fulfill that mission statement. Then I look at what I can delegate, the first three roles only I can do, then with what’s left I asses what would have the greatest impact on the mission statement and tackle those first. It works pretty well because as a son he tells me to take care of my wife, the weaker vessel (what a joke because she knocks my sox off) so I know she need a vacation and I get to participate. And it also takes care of the 3rd priority because I read "the most important thing a father can do for his children is to love his wife" so there is a lot of synergy in the whole thing. As far as the rest I do what most of you do and use outlook which I have on my Window's phone now.

Craig,

Thank you for this post. It is interesting that you rank son ahead of husband and father.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree on the To-Do List + use it both in my professional + personal life~ Every day I evaluate what hasn't been accomplished + re-prioritize accordingly thereafter~

Sign In to comment