Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Coaching is a very proactive way to empower the employee and develop a new leader.

Coaching engages the employee to perform better and be more company loyal. It does provide the employee with being valued.

My worry is whether a supervisor is encouraging growth by delegating a project or duty for the benefit of the employee or if the manager is just passing off duties they do not like to complete or do not know how to complete [which I have seen and unfortunately experienced as a subordinate first hand in my career].

Delegating to encourage growth is imperative for true coaching and employee success, but passing off duties because you can, is not acceptable.

Recognition sometimes goes father than a momatary rewad.I like knowing that i did a good job, it makes me more confident to take on more respnsibility. And if i didnt do something up to par a hand of help goes a lomg way instead f being scolded

I agree with the dual roles in order for a supervisor to be effective in his/her capacity as a good leader and positive role model.
Working with employees everyday gives a supervisor an insight into what makes a person "tick". Being able to use that person's strengths for the good of the group will definitely improve the morale of that person and of the whole group and coaching can be accomnplished easier.
New employees should be given the benefit of the doubt at first and shown that they are trusted to perform well in their assigned tasks and that will give them a clear definition of the expectations and goals of their supervisor and sets the bar for them.

There are many differences between managing and coaching an employee. I believe the first difference between coaching and managing an employee is the attitude the employee and manager have in the relationship. If neither the employee nor the manager want to coach or be coached, then the situation roots itself into a managing position. If the employee and coach both show a desire to learn and grow from a situation, then the manager can coach the employee instead of managing. Coaching an employee resolves around a respect relationship where both parties can trust each other. It is like a parent trying to teach their child a new skill or develop them into a better person. Managing a person is what must be done when a subordinate is not willing to push themselves to grow and learn new skills with the guidance of a coach. Managing involves more direct contact of “do this” or “don’t do that” while coaching revolves around guidance and letting the subordinate make guided choices one their own accord.

An effective supervisor MUST be competent and eventually comfortable in BOTH roles, manager and coach. You are only as good as your weakest link and the balancing of the two "hats" will determine your effectiveness and success as a manager. Additionally, but just as important, in being able to function in both roles is the ability to know when to function in which role.

Cynthia,
I agree that the effective leader has both skill sets & can work well in both.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

A manager is a functional position and is task driven. Whereas a coach is leadership position and is more focused on improving performance.

Clayton,
this is a great synopsis of the two positions & we need to acknowledge that we can do both.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Coaching gives the manager the opportunity to share with the direct report best practices to further improve his/her capabilities.

Maria ,
yes and to frequently provide the feedback on identified developmental areas.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I feel that managing an employee just keeps them from aspiring for more growth, frusteration and therefore leads to lack of confidence and low morale in the work place. Coaching leads the employee to become stronger confident and thus being able to create a strong team and possible growth to other higher positions.

Thank you,
Cynthia

Yes I do agree that an effective supervisor needs to be both competent and comfortable in both roles.
I find myself acting more in the role as a manager versus a coach. After reading this passage and taking this course, it has come to my attenition that in many instances I failed to take the opporutunity to coach my faculty.
This course has helped me see the difference and I look forward to using the material with my team.

Cynthia,
I agree that coaching is definitely focused on the long-term development & I also believe there is value in good, effective managing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Management requires a direct, task oriented style that should only be utilized in certain situations. Management is about meeting a specific outcome. Examples of management might include an emergency situation, when an employee has never performed the task, or when the employee lacks confidence in their ability to complete a task.

Coaching is best used for developmental purposes, especially if a team is already performing a high level. Coaching, unlike management, can result in many different outcomes. Coaching best used when the employee already has an understanding of his or her role and is eager to learn, improve, and grow.

An effective leader must wear many different hats. One must know how to evaluate the situation and be able to determine if managing or coaching is needed.

Yes. A focused manager is always looking to ensure his or her business is successful by making sure their employees have specific skills in their positions. However, the only way to get long term success is to develop employees to a higher level to retain them and keep them happy in their jobs. This can only be done by being a good coach too. Mentoring and managing, hand in hand.

We see examples of managing all the time: the boss with tunnel vision that sees only numbers or dollars and cents, the business associate that sees rungs on a ladder to his/her goal rather than cobblestone on the road to get there. A good coach realizes that without the support of the "team" the culmative goal will never be met. If the team doesn't make it together, then no one really makes it anywhere. Managing employees will lead to high turnovers, bitter employees who have no vested interest in your goals wheras a good coach realize that taking care of your people results in them taking care of you.

I answered this question earlier without really reading it well, so hopefully, I deleted that one effectively.

I think of managing as the "logistics" of the corporation or organization. For example, I think of a manager as the one who maintains the status quo of policies, regulations and/or requirements of running the work space. I think of a coach as one who enters into a professional relationship to 1) better the corporation, 2) provide professional development for the person, and 3) develop an effective professional work environment.

carol,
and I think ideally we find both sets of skills in those who are in positions of formal "authority" in our organizations as we need those coach/leader skills & we also need some good management skills.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The differance seems to be where is the employee at now vs what potencially he could become in long term

Sign In to comment