Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Coaching is the comittment the manager makes with the employee to assist, guide, and support them in mastering a new skill set or process. To be there when needed, but not to do the work for them. This allows the employee to work through the process or procedure by themselves but also builds their confidance by completing this task.

Whereas, managing is the process of ensuring that the employee's productivity meets or exceeds their responsibilities or duties by completing their tasks correctly in a timely manner.

Marie,
yes, modeling the desired behavior is a key factors in being a good coach.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think as a manager you must wear both hats your main goal is to maximize results so setting performance goals for your staff and coaching them to achieve it is in your best interest.

This course has helped me understand how vital both roles are when overseeing others. I am a relatively new supervisor of a student clinic on a college campus. I have seen how managing students' performance without including good coaching has failed miserably with students who lack confidence. While I thought I was providing adequate coaching for them, after scoring 60% on the course's initial self-evaluation, I realized I needed to be coached about coaching! This course has been extremely helpful. Thank you.

Dan ,
excellent point made here. Our roles as "supervisors/managers" really call for a balance between the different skills & aspects of what's going on here.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Managing making sure their job is done correctly. Coaching is teaching an employee to move forward with their career, not just a job for the employee any longer.

Coaching is a more cooperative approach where you propose solutions and work together with the employee to set a plan and move forward later checking in to make sure progress has been made.
With managing you set the rules and expect them to be followed or met with not as much input from the employee(s).

Shelly,
yes, this is it. And being willing to help them work through challenges in order to be successful.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Miriam,
This is a great point you make here. Coaching really is a collaborative effort, whereas managing is often top down.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think coaching and managing can go hand and ahand, however the term managing seems very parental

Coaching an employee is more about guidance and support using more of an informal technique than managing and evaluating. Although several techniques of coaching and managing are similar in support, they are done differently. Coaching takes a more personal and agreed upon route.

Tammy ,
this is true & they are definitely complementary concepts.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think when you coach someone they are more open to taking suggestions. I believe this is better for both parties the person being coached and the person doing the coaching.

I believe the difference between coaching and managing is basically one is based upon culture (coaching) and managing is based upon command and control (structure). Coaching an employee involves influencing and developing that employee's skills to become successful within the company. Managing an employee deals with overseeing what that employee is doing on a daily basis.

Scott,
I think this is a good distinction as coaching does tend to focus on the whole person rather than just task focus.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Managing involves performance reviews and more objective. Coaching is developing a trusting relationship and more about motivating and employee to achieve his or her best

very good comparison of the two.

When you are managing, you are overseeing the work and performance of an employee. When you are coaching, you are helping others to develop skills, abilities to perform and improve attitudes among others; in order to contribute to the wellbeing of the coachee and the goal achievement of the organization.

A proper amount of positive feedback, specifically mentioning areas of their accomplishment or skill is invaluable. The more anyone feels appreciated and respected, the more loyalty they have to the company ... the more they feel as if what they do matters, the more they feel as if they are an integral part of the overall success of the business.
anne

As a professional hypnotherapist, I am vry familar with the power of words. Just as hypnosis is not limited to the client's time in the "recliner" (you'll find the words and techniques on TV commercials, as you listen to a sales pitch or a politician, etc.), I don't think coaching has to be limited to the specific face-to-face time. General office conversation (even on-the-go or in passing) can easily incorporate coaching language and techniques ... the praise, the right questions, the gentle mention of agreements that needing attention.

Sign In to comment