Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great observation.

From my xperience, coaching an employee entails you focusing on immediate issues and opportunities. Managing an employee is a process that spans a long-term development period.

The difficulty I have run into with these terms is that there is no universal definition & so often the interpretation is left open.

Coaching is generally divided into two categories, one being that of performance coaching which usually takes place in the moment & is focused on a specific task.

Then there is developmental coaching which is more of a long-term relationship focusing on assisting employees in their career progression.

Coaching is focusing on employees strengths and supporting them to reach there goals. Managing is strategically planning for your department to meet its goals through expectations and follow through.

Susan,
I really appreciate your differentiation between these two important skills. To me this is also the difference between a leader and a manager. Both sets of skills are necessary, but they are not the same.

True, it is so important as a manager to know when to lead and when to coach. This morning I went to my manager informing him of a few customer complaints. He yelled threw down the phone and said he was quiting this F'n job. I quickly exited the room.

Wow...Not sure what to say to this other than I think I would say that this individual is definitely a manager, not a leader. Unfortunately sometimes the best learning we can have are from poor examples.
Ryan

Coaching is empowering and encouraging. Managing is direction and expectations.

I agree that coaching does empower an employee to reach their potential through positive feedback and positive reinforcements.

I believe coaching is effective in bringing out the best in an individual. Managing brings out accountability and production.

Great summation. I also think that a coach is more interested in the other person's development, whereas a manager ultimately is accountable for getting results.
Ryan

Absolutely. A coach can also help by asking thought-provoking questions to move the employee further along in their thinking.
Ryan

I think you could say that both coaching & managing have the potential to bring out the best in individuals, it's just a different best. As you said, managing may help bring out the best in production, where as coaching may help in inspiring that person to push themselves further.
Ryan

A manager gives direction, sets expectations & holds an employee accountable for their actions where as coaching allows a leader to help an employee grow in their job - professionally and personally. I believe that a good supervisor knows that they wear a dual hat and knows when to wear which hat.

April,
I could not agree with you more! I think you've nailed it right on the head with the difference between the two ideas & also with your comment regarding a good supervisor being aware of wearing two hats.

I was talking with a leader who is also a certified coach the other day & he pointed out that sometimes a coach-leader can seem somewhat directive but that is because he/she is being a cheerleader for the employee. Often when the employee is not being their own cheerleader. Just something interesting.
Ryan

I think coaching is more about correcting behavior or a lack of skill than anything else.

Coaching can definitely be about correcting behavior, the difficulty is discerning which definition of coaching you are working with. There are many definitions out there today. In addition to correcting behavior, coaching can also be about helping the other person to develop themselves by discovering their areas of strength & potential.

What about management? What are your thoughts on that area of skills? How would you define a manager?

Ryan

In my opinion A coach is someone who observes the coachee in action and assists in guiding the person to reaching new levels of performance. The coachee needs to be open and interested in reaching new levels for this to work-- Managing an employee is really delegate and following up.

Great thoughts Sean. There are so many definitions out there about coaching that it can be confusing at times. In addition to your description, a leader as coach can also help the employee with their overall career development. By asking powerful questions, the leader/coach can help the coachee discover what it is they really want & then chart a course to get there. Great job.

Ryan

From my thoughts, managing is holding an employee accountable and guiding them. Coaching is helping an employee through immediate performance issues to gain a better understanding through feedback and development.

Sign In to comment