Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think Tim's comment on using examples of his own issues is right on. Testimonials are powerfully persuasive whether it's letting an employee know you struggled with some things and overcame them or using examples of other employees who have succeeded after a struggle. "Real people" examples make it seem more achievable than simply a, "I believe in you and know you can do it," type of approach.

I like Ramon's comparison to a high school coach, "the Coach was on your side, he could be blunt, he could be harshly critical, yet you knew he was on your side and his goal was for you, the team, and himself to succeed. In fact he pushed you to be a champion ..." Yes, coaching requires a level of rapport between the employee and the coach ... trusting each other, active listening, and direct and honest communication ... all by both parties.

I like Ramon's comparison to a high school coach, "the Coach was on your side, he could be blunt, he could be harshly critical, yet you knew he was on your side and his goal was for you, the team, and himself to succeed. In fact he pushed you to be a champion ..." Yes, coaching requires a level of rapport between the employee and the coach ... trusting each other, active listening, and direct and honest communication ... all by both parties.

Coaching allows an opportunity for dialogue and builds a trusting relationship which will promote better performance and a positive atmosphere.

Latrina,
this really is the value/benefit of coaching summed up in a nutshell.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Anne,
and this helps them overcome the feeling that everyone else is getting it or is perfect except for me.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe managing employees comes down to making sure they do what is expected of them, and Coaching is helping them to understand what is expected of them and helping them grow. Being willing to do whatever you ask your employees to do shows them you are a team player and you can and are willing to stand beside them to make the company better.

Coaching becomes an active role that helps build the team environment.When you are coaching another employee you must think about it as helping them achieve the set goal, working together in a set path.

Sign In to comment