Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

sometimes they need more directing and other times more coaching; it is a fine balance sometimes between the two

sometimes it is challenging when thinking about how to measure the results in documentable form or in quantitative ways.

I completely agree. How do you act as a mentor within your role as a manager?
Ryan

Angela,
Great comment. Interestingly the Hay Group (out of Boston) conducted extensive research based on Emotional Intelligence. What they found is that a coaching style of leadership is one of the most effective over the long-term. You're right on track!
Ryan

Completely agree. That is why I personally believe the best mix is a manager/leader rather than just one or the other.
Ryan

Angela,
You are completely right. I do know that those in the coaching community are making greater efforts to demonstrate quantifiable results & a true ROI from coaching within the business sector.
Ryan

Coaching is guiding the employee to achieve the desired action/outcome. Managing is using the employee as a resource to accomplish the needs of the company. When combined successfully, the potential positive results are great.

Michael,
I completely agree. I especially like your last statement. Unfortunately it seems that often people divide into two camps rather than seeing the need for both sets of skills.
Ryan

Coaching is ongoing, and must have buy-in from both the coach and coachee. I can be a great help to the coachee if they strive to progress through the organization.

Coaching should be based on positive exchanges to begin with, and morf into positive, constuctive critisism, along with an action plan.

Robert,
Great observation. According to the Hay group & Daniel Goleman's research, the Coaching leadership style is all about the long-term development of employees.
Ryan

Yes, the initial establishment of a positive & safe relationship & environment is key to coaching sucess.
Ryan

Coaching is working with the employee to help achieve a certain goal or attain a task set out to them.

Managaing an employeee relates more to holding one accountable to any goals set forth to them.

Absolutely Charles. I would also add that coaching is supporting the employee while they are striving to achieve that goal or complete that task. Great job.
Ryan

Coaching an employee is helping him/her to do the assigned task when the employee is new to the company or new in the position. Managing an employee would be to assign the employee a task and let him do it the way he has been trained to do it. this employee should already done this type of assignment before.

Managing employees tends to create a culture of “Dad” syndrome. Dad what do I do now, Dad I need help, Dad I was waiting for your OK etc. Coaching trains the employee to make good decisions on their own. Effective coaching requires putting your ego aside and not worry when the employee starts making better decisions on their own. Unfortunately, many managers believe if they train someone to do their job they’re putting their own career at risk.

Wayne,
You are so right & I too have seen this happen many times before.

In addition to the ego factor, I have also found that some managers have a hard time letting go of the satisfaction they get from solving the problems themselves. Often they formerly did that job & so it feels so good to show their own expertise. I have found that these folks are often struggling with the role of manager & so they're looking for something to fill their bucket which then takes from someone else's bucket.

Thanks for the post Wayne.
Ryan

Although Coaching and Managing are both ongoing processes, coaching is more focused to achieve a certain goal. Managing is just that and more emphasis in directing work that is usually structured in nature.

You are right. I have said before (& in this forum) that coaching to me is really the aspect of leadership & you lead people, often toward goals that they have cooperatively established. Management is more about resources or things; you manage tasks & things.

Ryan

Dr. Myers I have always told my employees that leaderships set goals and objectives and managers manage the company's assets to obtain those goals and objectives.

Sign In to comment