Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I definitely think that the 1st phase is the most important but I also give equal value to the Final evaluation of the Project.

You will have a hard time running a project effectively if you do not take the time to clearly define the need for the project and its objectives. From time to time, I have had to work on creative production projects and I find a clear set of as many defining objectives as possible: "the concretenss of the idea" will definitely help you plan a WBS. Otherwise, the "creative" factor will overwelm the project and it will have too many stops and starts.
Further investigation of the underlying issues is also a wonderful way to wrap your head around the project. To me it helps give the project a three dimensional feel and a sign of ownership: "Yes I will sign on to this project or I have some concerns before I accept this assignment."

Why do I give equal value to the evaluation of the completed project? I have been in too many projects to count, that do not give enough time to the evalutation process. It is "on to the next thing" and the learning gets buried as the company goes on to the next project. This does not give anyone time to assess what worked, what didn't or leave any legacy or model for the next project idea? This can be very difficult especially where different departments are concerned as they might end up creating the same errors or spending more time recreating a formula that has already been tried and true!

I would agree with you on this. Though a failure in one area will usually result in an incomplete project, planning plays a very significant role.

The final phase, however, is probably the most important outside of the project. The time/financial savings from lessons learned and knowledge gained benefits all those involved in future endeavors.

I think "Planning The Project" is the most important phase. Assembling the team and assigning tasks to the correct individuals and developing the schedule,communication,and budget plans are the most critical part of the project. Even if you do every thing else wrong, having the correct people on the project can bail you out of a mess. I think picking a team that believes in the project and is enthusiastic about the project is a key value.

It's true that all four phases are important, but conversely, if the planning phase isn't adequately prepared, then it won't proceed forward.

All phases are of importance. This is really a difficult question when analyzing all four phases. I believe the most important would lean more toward the first phase of defining and organizing the project. If this phase is not completed correctly, the other phases may go in a different direction than the original intent. It is essential there be a clear understanding from the beginning in order for the other phases to be successful.

The most important phase that I feel is imperative to project management is the planning phase. Before you can execute a project, you have to ensure that you can successfully accomplish the project's goals. In order to do this, you must systematically plan the end goal, time, costs and resources needed to complete the task and be successful.

Hello,

I totally agree that the most important phase is the planning even though we still need work hard and do the great job for the other phases as well. Without good planning, the project is not structured and could go anywhere, not exactly like you expect. That's the reason, it's better to take some time to conduct the good planning than just fix it later on.

Greetings Rose,

Excellent points about the importance of planning and taking time to do it well. What do you find are the keys to creating an effective plan?

Although defining and organizing the project is very important, because you do need that road map to know exactly where the project is going, and the direction you will be following; I feel the planning phase is the most important. You are picking your team, assigning who does what. The budget is done at this time, along with your time schedule. This is also the time to set up how you will communicate throughout the project.If any one of these are not done correctly you will have problems to deal with later which will effect the budget and timing.

I agree that the first phase is the most important. Honesty is one of the key factors in insuring that all parties begin on the right foot. I have been witness to/participated in/led a number of "top down" projects that were "pseudo-projects" in terms of problem definition and clarity of objective. An astute project manager has to be able to read between the lines when resources are marshalled and the marching orders given from above. However, if the place from which the project is brought down from is opaque in terms of detail every phase that follows in the wake of the first step is a very bumpy road.

I think that the identification of the business needs and and the definition of the project's objectives is the most important of the four phases. If this phase is weak and vague that will be reflected later on in the rest of the project if it is ever completed.

All four phases of project management are necessary. I believe first phase is most important in defining and organizing the project. For example, a house you need a foundation that could be considered defining and organizing section of the project management phase. If you do not define and organize your project at the beginning properly then you will experience a negative outcome of a disaster. The company will also have a loss of thousands hopefully not millions of dollars. This phase is most critical. The project life cycle can be equidistant to the product life cycle. The product life cycle ranges on indicators as introduction, growth, maturity, and decline. Managing a project management indicators are defining and organizing, planning, executing, and closing the project.

Project life cycle equidistant to product lifecycle:

Defining and organizing project is the introduction in forming correct evaluations and objectives in alluding to the mission statements in meeting success within the business organization.

Planning the project is the growth and success on a project should be understood especially for the project manager in delegating workers on training to be a part of a team project.

Executing the project is the maturity where proper implementation should be considered highly regarded by the project manager and stakeholders, etc. as a critical component to success in the project.

Closing the project is the decline where any contingency plans, etc. and stakeholders, workers, and self-evaluations on survey either paper or internet can be helpful component aides toward success in meeting the foundation of a project.

Lee Demuth

Yes agree.

It is critical to have meetings with stakeholders to ensure everything is lined-up and ready to go. Actually the more imputs you have as a project manager from other individuals the less problems can occur. Like the old adage goes, "More minds are better than one."

Good points here!

It's the people involved in the project, from the project leader to all the members needed to complete the project. Picking the wrong people, like the ones that always have a negative attitude toward everything will bring the project down. The project leader has to be very careful about who he/she picks.

Defining and organizing the project is very important, because you need to know exactly where the project is going, and the direction you will be following;therefore, I feel the planning phase is the most important. You are picking the team, assigning who does what. The budget is done at this time, along with your time schedule. This is also the time to set up how you will communicate throughout the project. If any one of these are not done correctly you will have problems to deal with later which will effect the budget and timing.

All phases are important - chronologically so. For example, you cann execute a project that hesn't been defined or organized for. So my vote is for define and organize - much like and actrees or actor needs motivation before a scene, employees need to understand exactly what they are working on and why.

All the phases are important to any project I do think defining and setting the proper priorities sets the tone and latitude of where and how the project will be considered. Each phase should be dependent on the previous phase. This first phase allows you to be foundational.

Thanks Timothy and excellent point about the need to set priorities. I'm curious in terms of your comment about each phase being dependent on the previous phase if it seems most projects are linear in nature?

I see the planning phase as the most important part of project management. There is an old saying that says you should never start out on a journey without a map or you won't reach your destination. If you don't have a plan of exactly what you are trying to accomplish, you will never accomplish it. I am in the planning process of my first official project and it has been a long and tedious process, but without a plan I would have no idea where to start. The planning phase makes you evaluate time, budget, and the objectives so everyone knows what the plan is, how long it will take and how much it will cost.

Thanks Angela and there is certainly some wisdom to that old saying. Best wishes on your first official project and I'm wondering what you've learned from this course that you'll apply to that project?

Sign In to comment