Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Along the lines of my belief that the planning phase is the most important, I was very interested in the WBS, Work Breakdown Structure. I have pushed for the responsibility of expanding and updating the curriculum for the program I manage. After learning about the WBS I was able to breakdown the whole program into the modules. Then I broke the modules into the individual classes. Finally I broke down the classes into their individual needed components. My next step is going to be to put the time line together. I have a two month timeline to finish the first module.

I love documentation. I might have figured it out on my own, but learning about the progress reports and status reports is going to make communication with my project sponsor a lot easier. I feel that I do not have enough contact with my project sponsor currently, so these reports will be a way to provide updates and get feedback from him as well as the stakeholders.

Thanks Angela for the excellent example. I'm pleased to see your use of the WBS to the curriculum. Progress reports are a huge advantage especially in terms of managing curriculum.

I agree. The defining and organizing phase is where the problem is analyzed and potential solutions are discussed and determined. Adequate planning makes all ventures run smoother. While it is true that even the perfect plan can require changes as situations and circumstances arise, having a clear goal in mind will help the project team determine the best solutions to stay on course.

I believe that the final stage or phase is important because it draws to completion the total project and deadlines have been met or exceeded. This shows the dedication of the team.

oliver,

Great point and do you think this is the MOST important phase? And are the deadlines never not met?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I believe that the planning phase is the most important. The planning phase is the most important because the more time you spend on planning and paying attention to possible problmes the less time you will have to spend monitoring and controlling, therefore, execution of the project will be a lot more successful.

Thanks Karen and excellent point about the time spent planning. Just to clarify do you think that if you spend less time monitoring and controlling that the project will be more successful?

Thank you Dr. Goodman. No, more time spent planning does not mean you do not have to spend as much time monitoring and controlling, this is still an important phase of project management. You need to monitor for quality, costs, budget, environmental changes, etc., and during the monitoring phase if you are out of tolerance you then have to implement and address measures to place the project back under control. I do believe though that a thorough planning process will lead to a better, smoother, execution process.

Hi Karen,

You're welcome and thanks for the clarification. I'm glad that you recognize that it is not always a simple tradeoff between the time spent on various areas. I certainly agree with your point about a thorough planning process leading to a smoother process...something for you to think about as you approach your next project.

Dr. Eric Goodman

Dr. Goodman, I really enjoyed this class above all the other Max Knowledge courses taken. I instruct Progrect Managment to IT students seeking associate degrees, the text utilized is a tough read. Can you suggest supplemental material that I can order for our library? Also, I was able to utlize this course to pick up on some great excercises that I can utilize in the classroom to make the subject matter more exciting.

Karen

Dr. Goodman, I really enjoyed this class above all the other Max Knowledge courses taken. I instruct Progrect Managment to IT students seeking associate degrees, the text utilized is a tough read. Can you suggest supplemental material that I can order for our library? Also, I was able to utlize this course to pick up on some great excercises that I can utilize in the classroom to make the subject matter more exciting.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed this class the most and took away some great exercises that you'll be able to use.

Some of the texts can be a tough read and I'm wondering if you'd mind sharing what you're using so I can get a sense of what may be more appropriate for your student demographic?

Happy to make some suggestions once I know a little more. I assume, you'd also want a variety of books covering general IT project management, risk, QA, etc.? Also, are you introducing the students to the PMBOK?

Thanks again,
Eric

I agree with you in the aspect of defining and organizing. I find that when I am a lead on a project or even a member of a team I find that understanding the objective of the project by defining and organizing is key for the next phases to be easier. During this phase to define the roles and responsibilities of the project members can help to keep the project, team members and the leader on track for completion.

Noreen,

Excellent point about the importance of defining and organizing. What type of process do you use as a project lead to define the roles?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I believe defining and organizing the project is the most important phase. Obtaining agreement on the objectives of the project in terms of the business need(s) to be resolved is critical for success in the other phases of project management.

I totally agree if the team is not assembled properly to meet the objectives of the project then you are certain the project will fail. Not to mention if the people you have chosen cannot work together then you are back to where you started.

It very important that the right people with the skillset needed be selected. Even though a person has 9 out of the 10 skills needed, is there time to train the person on the 10th skill. Is there another person on the team that has the skill?

These are one of many questions that need to be answered when assembling a team. Besides coming under budget, you also want the project to be successful and on-time.

Robert,

Excellent point Robert, so where do you begin? With organizing or the objectives?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Dr. Goodman,

I would first verify or confirm the business needs(stakeholders expectations)and then develop the project objectives that will address those needs. My next step would be to organize the project around the objectives.

Bob

Sabina,

Excellent point about the project being destined to fail. You raise some great questions and as you suggest there are many more to ask. I'm wondering, in your experience, how do you ensure that the people you have chosen can work together?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Good Question, and point Dr. Goodman. To answer your question, I've worked in the industry for over 15 years and have met and worked with several Project Managers and team players. As we are all consultants, I basically call them to be part of the team. Okay, I admit it - I cheated but only a little bit. =)

If there is a skill set that I needed and my team does not have, I become a recruiter to find such a person. Through interviews, skillset,etc. I determine if the person or persons' will be a good fit. Worst of all, every time I bring in people to work with my team. It ends up with at least two marriages. Go figure ?

Sabina

Sign In to comment