Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All four phases of a project are crucial. The execution phase which is the phase in which the actual work is done appears most critical. The planning phase is complex and also very relevant

Austin Umezurike

Excellent point Austin! A plan is meaningless if you aare not able to get the actual work done. I also appreciate your mention of the planning phase...do you think if you have done a poor job with the planning phase the execution phase is as critical?

Eric, Thanks for your comments. If the planning phase is poorly planned then it will negatively impact project execution. However, progressive elaboration could be used to refine the project plan as more information become available.
Austin Umezurike

I feel that there is a fairly equal split of importance between the Planning phase and the Execution phase.

The planning of any project is crucial to it's success as it outlines the processes that need to take place. It sets the goals, objectives and issues to be addressed and solved.

At the same time, the planning of a project will not make it successful alone, despite it's crucial nature. The execution of any "plan" must be done well in order to make a project truly successful.

Yes, Aaron you are exactly right about the importance of both! Both planning and execution are critical. Are there things that you've done in the past when it comes to planning that have made the execution phase more successful?

The four phases are defining,planning, executing, and closing the project. I personally think the most important phase is planning to be the most important to a project's success. Having a strong foundation is important to starting any project. In the first phase; defining and and organizing the project, you identify the business need for objectives of the project; clarify competing demands and watch for scope creep; define roles and responsibilities; create a project charger; and develop high-level time and cost estimates. A good example is building a house, if the foundation is not strong where it has been predefined and organized, the rest of the project can go down hill. If something is not identified upfront it can effect the scope, budget,, etc...

Excellent point Anitabanu! Your example of building a house is a great one. Nice summary as well of the four phases. You mentioned scope creep and I'm wondering how you avoid that during the planning phase in your experience?

While they are all important, the execution phase is the most important. A perfect plan can still be ruined by faulty execution, but sometimes a poor plan can be fixed or at least improved in the execution phase. The early phases set the probability of success, but the execution is where we see the measurement of success or failure.

Hi Monty,

Great comment about being able to save/fix a poor plan during the execution phase. It is important to remember that this is a dynamic process and open to change...especially as new information is brought to light.

More or less, I've found that the initiative to just take action is the biggest asset to making a project successful. In addition to the prior planning, the action allows you to start moving forward and make minor changes as needed. Depending on the size of a project or organization, the ability to stay nimble and make changes on an as-needed basis is significant.

Thanks Aaron and excellent point. In terms of the "phases" of project management what is the term then that you'd call that part?

I still feel that it would fall into the Execution phase.

EXACTLY! Thanks for the follow up Aaron.

What a really interesting course. I have never formally managed any projects but do enjoy the process of putting something together. I learned a lot about the process here. I'm going to agree with most of the other posts and say that planning and define the project are the most important. Mainly because it's in that background that critical components are put into place that allow the execution of the project to run smoother. For example; when a project is first being defined is when initial excitement for the project is generated. The excitement, while intangible, is critical to ensuring the project’s success.

In addition I naturally put defining the project into the planning phase. Without clearly defined goals, objectives, responsibilities, etc. a project would quickly go off course and end up becoming unmanageable.

Besides, in its very definition planning is supposed to help the execution run more smoothly. I interpret that to mean without planning the execution is bumpy and who wants to manage a bumpy project? :)

Yes, all four phases are important...or they wouldn't be part of the structure of project management. But the first, defining and setting objectives is the most important, in my opinion. If you don't know where you are supposed to end up, you won't know if you are lost!

Thanks Jennie for the excellent response. It sounds like you'll be well positioned moving forward to manage projects. I'd invite you to consider the type of things you have managed and how in some respects those things may be "projects".

Great point about the need for comprehensive planning in order to ensure a smooth (not bumpy) project!

Thanks Julie and you are exactly right about the necessity of knowing where you are going. What specific thing did you learn from this information that you'll be able to use in the future?

I have managed a few projects informally. As a matter of fact, in my current position I created an entirely new library for our school. I'm glad that my natural skills leand themselves to planning/organizing anyway but having this knowledge before hand would have definately made that easier. :)

One item I will for sure take with me is that sometimes one large project can actually be two or three smaller ones. Breaking things down tends to keep people (myself included) from being overwhelmed and feeling like the project has no end.

I find that the outcome of a project has a direct relationship to the skill and proficiency of the team members you decide to recruit. The more skilled and experienced you team is, the more likely you project is to be successful, on time and on budget.

I would say that absolutely the planning stage is the most important in the process. Admittedly it's difficult to plan well if project objectives are unclear, yet without successful planning, all future project actions are at risk.

Sign In to comment